Mower deck adjustments

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by two-niner, Apr 21, 2002.

1. two-niner

two-niner LawnSite Member

Does anyone change the bolts that attach the engine deck to the mower deck on fixed deck possibly change the pitch of the mower deck? Or should it be left the way it comes from the manufacturer?
  2. CLM1103

CLM1103 LawnSite Member

Each bolt setting on the deck to mower adjustment will give you a height range ... High, low or medium. You can then adjust pitch with the front arm shim rings. Blade height can be adjusted within the range by the number of shim rings above the blade or above the spindle shaft.

Hope this helps.
  3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 fixed decks a 52 Lesco & a 61 Scag STHM. The Scag was

set in the middle I moved the deck to the high and left it there.

The Lesco has 2 settings have not changed it.
  4. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

IMO, the rear deck setting should be set so that when front adjusters are on the highest front setting, the deck (blades) are level with respect to the ground.
  5. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

I just today raised both of my 48's rear height adjustments. On my scag it was a matter of unbolting the deck from the frame and moving it up. On my exmark you actually lowered the wheels and that moved the back of the deck up. I did this in conjunction with moving spacers from ontop of the spindles to between the spindle and blade to increase the depth of the deck. I am trying to give the grass more room to stand up before being cut in hopes to cope with the unusually tall grass I have been seeing lately. Also with the back raised up all the way I am able to get a higher cut than before with all of the caster spacers underneath.
  6. superfert

superfert LawnSite Member

When making the decison to change the pitch of the deck one must consider what height you will most often be cutting at after the change is made.
    You do not want a negitive pitch to the deck if at all possible. The back of the blade will be doing more of the work and produce a poor cut.
    If you decide to adjust the bolt up of the deck be sure to inspect the height of the blade drive pulley on the engine, this will insure that the belt is coming from the engine to the deck spindles at the correct pitch. The result of improper pulley adjustment will be a belt eating machine. If you were to lower the deck you would need to lower the pulley on the crank shaft of the engine for example.

Hope this helps you out