Mower Deck Belt?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Vugger, May 31, 2008.

1. Vugger

Vugger LawnSite Member

I have a 2006 Super Mini Z that I bought last spring. I have been having a problem with the deck belt. The belt keeps slipping down on the pully that has the adjustments on it. This began to happen last spring initially, so I increased the tension on the spring. This did seem to remedy the problem for a brief period. Now I have had to adjust the pully so tight that I only have about 4 links of chain left. Also, last week, while I was mowing I noticed the smell of rubber, so I shut the mower off and checked the deck belt. It had moved down on the pully and was rubbing on the white plastic that is on the top of the deck. It has actually worn a groove into the plastic and I am having a difficult time keeping the belt on the pully. This mower only has 30 hrs on it. Should this belt be bad already? Also, I am going to have to replace the white plastic pieces on the deck. Any suggestions on the problem or how this happened?
    Thanks in advance.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It sounds like your deck needs to be re leveled and your deck height adjusted.
    The dealer can also check your belt alignment while they are at it.
    This should not be happening at 30 hours.
    Have you talked to your dealer about this?

Pj

3. Vugger

Vugger LawnSite Member

PJ,
    Thanks for the reply. No I have not talked to my dealer yet because it was not happening all of the time. I guess the deck could be out of level and causing the problem, but it appears to cut grass just fine when working. I think that I have figured out the problem. After using the search engine, there appears to be an issue when Mini-Z's are in the transport position and the blades are engaged. I think this may be the problem. I usually lift the deck when I get to the edge of the yard so that I don't hit any gravel on the driveway. I think this may be causing the belt to rub against the frame and drive belt and pushing the belt down on the tension pulley causing it to slide off and rub on the top of the deck. Pj, could this be what is happening? I mowed this weekend and did not engage the belt in the transport position and it did not happen. I do set the mower length at 3.5-3.75 inches. Not sure if this is a problem. Should I just keep an eye on it and see if it happens again? Also, if this is the problem, has Hustler figured out a fix yet, or is the fix to not engage the blades in the transport position? Thanks for any help.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Re-leveling and pitching the deck as well as making sure the cutting height is correct usually takes care of the problem.
    This is why I would suggest it getting done.
    If you found that not leaving the blades engaged at transport work, this is likely the same problem, and getting your deck adjusted should take care of the problem.

Pj

5. Homegrown

Homegrown LawnSite Member

I had the same problem, engaging the belt drive with the deck in "transport position" , the belt would drop and ride on top of the lower edge of the tension pulley. I cut in that position or the one lower. St.Augustine in TX.:)

There are 2 spacers, a thin one and a thick one. I put the thick one on top of the pulley and the thin one below, which lowered the tension pulley lower to the deck. Set spring to specs. Solved that lil' problem for over a year now. 2006 Mini 52..:drinkup: