Mower deck maintenance

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by PYMLscape, May 16, 2006.

1. PYMLscape

PYMLscape LawnSite Member

Any tips on how to access blades to sharpen and clean the deck without buying a $200.00 Jungle Jack?
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I use a A-frame I built years ago, Or you could use a cheep set of car ramps, Or a cheep floor jack.
  3. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

I can chain my sulky up and it is enough weight to where I can balance it and get under there and change blades and clean deck etc... I also saw at a local mechanic's one time he had a chain rigged over a pully(on the ceiling) and he had a hook on the end of the chain to where he could put the hook on the deck of the mower and pull it up then gain access underneath the deck.... I'd do that if you have a big ZTR....
  4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 5 ton chain host then I wrap an old belt around and use that to lift it up. I got a little shop in my barn
  5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I use my trailer ramp or a floor jack all the time. When I'm out mowing and need to scrape the deck or change blades I drive one of the front wheels up the outer edge of the ramp, turn off the mower and disconnect the spark plug, apply the breaks, and get out the wrenches/putty knife. I do it with both my w/b and the Scag TT, and never had a problem.