Lawn Care Forum banner

Mower Deck "slick" solvents

4K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  carcrz 
#1 ·
I was @ TSC yesterday & saw some graphite stuff that said it was good for mower decks. You paint it on & then let it set up. Anyone tried anything like this? It was available in Aerosol, quart, and gallon sizes.

#3 ·
I use a paint scraper every time I change the blades. I just figured if it would just fall right off then I would have to scrape it less. I tried Fluid Film, but the aerosol can lost its pressure after I used it on one deck so it went in the trash. It still had @ least 1/2 the can left too.

#7 ·
I use a paint scraper every time I change the blades. I just figured if it would just fall right off then I would have to scrape it less. I tried Fluid Film, but the aerosol can lost its pressure after I used it on one deck so it went in the trash. It still had @ least 1/2 the can left too.
most aerosol cans (paint etc) will run out of pressure In upside down positions...Maybe this Is what happened...or the cat was playing with It when you were not looking.

As for the deck solvent @ the Tsc store...I have never tryed It ...but I know Grafite can be real messy stuff. I like the fluid film...It's clean, easy to use ...and has NO Solvents:drinkup: :canadaflag: :usflag:

#8 ·
most aerosol cans (paint etc) will run out of pressure In upside down positions...Maybe this Is what happened...or the cat was playing with It when you were not looking.
sprayed it the right-side-up. Sat in heated garage w/ the lid on it. But now that I think about it, she has been acting like she got into some cat-nip. Hey Dan, is their cat-nip in the Fluid Film?

#10 ·
Dan's sending me a can of stuff but I'll give it a try anyway. I gotta drive all the way across town to get to a TSC but what the hell. Did you happen to catch a price on the aerosol can? Or have you seen it a Lowes or HD?
I found a place on-line that sells it cheep but adds a ton of shipping cost. Unless your buying a bunch of it, not so cost affective.

#11 ·
We use Fluid Film. Sell it by the case to out LCOs and also by the gallon (Wagner paint sprayer) and they LOVE it. Try it on your hedge clippers...you can hear the RPMs of the engine speed up.

Here is another good one, spray it on your trimmers when they are clean. It stops a lot of the grass from sticking and that lowers the weight of your trimmer head. I actually spray it inside on the line to help lubricate it and stop it from welding together.

Mower decks work great along with snow equipment and digging tools. I have also had it used successfully on concrete equipment.

I've never had a problem with the spray cans so it sounds like you had a Dud.

I give away the full size cans to prospective commercial buyers. I tell them to try a can for free and buy a case when they find out how good it is. Never had one fail to buy a case a week or two later.

#13 ·
Dan's sending me a can of stuff but I'll give it a try anyway. I gotta drive all the way across town to get to a TSC but what the hell. Did you happen to catch a price on the aerosol can? Or have you seen it a Lowes or HD?
I found a place on-line that sells it cheep but adds a ton of shipping cost. Unless your buying a bunch of it, not so cost affective.
Fluid Film was pretty pricey, but did an excellent job for the little use I got out of it. I don't remember exactly how much it was. The stuff I got @ TSC was 5.95 for the aerosol or the quart. I didn't look @ the price per gallon because I wanted to try it out first.

#14 ·
Lawn Enforcer- I used Pam too. Oh wait a second. Sorry, you were talking about cooking spray. I thought you were talking about someone else.

Jim163 Does mow deck really work? A parts dealer really tries to push it but says you have to put in on again after a few lawns. Seems like a waste of money.

I put some of my free Fluid Film on my minute mount plow frame locking pins and now they slide in and out pretty well, just ask pam

#15 ·
Just an update. I used it on my Walker that I have been tinkering w/ for the last couple of weeks. Becuase it is basically a paint, proper preperation is a must. I just pressure washed the deck off, let it dry & painted it. When I rinsed the deck off this morning, I had a couple little sections chip off (probably preparation is to blame). Other than that, the grass came right off w/ no effort @ all. I just used a garden hose & it came right off w/o going over it twice or anything.

#20 ·
I sprayed a little under my deck with fluid flim, I couldn't really tell a difference, although I don't have many deck buildup problems. The fluid film lid busted off after a few squirts, so I didn't really get a chance to try it out, probably made by squinty eyed asians.

#21 ·
I have used the Lube-a-Plate I think it's called from TSC for years on tractor parts, leaf springs etc and love it. It is messy when you are working with it but when prepped right and it dries it lasts along .......time and is not messy something like a trailer ball coated w/ it lasts for 6 months or more of all most daily use and when you bump into it you don't get greese on you.
I did have the same problem w the spray though, never worked right I buy the quart and gal cans, still hard to mix but worth it to me.
just my .02

#22 ·
No, but we find new uses for it everyday!
:laugh:

Disclaimer: Fluid Film is not recommended as cat-nip. If your cat tears apart your couch after ingesting Fluid Film we had nothing to do with it!
Man, I was hoping I found another use for the stuff. It works great on my plow & its hinges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.