mower deck spindle grease?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by scottm1, Nov 4, 2007.

1. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

I have a Scag Turf Tiger I just bought and will do all of my own maintenance. In the owners manual it says to use a lithium grease on the deck spindles and also on the driveshaft. WHat brand and type do you guys use. I am unsure exactly which greases on the market are lithium. I currently have in my grease guns Lucas Xtra Heavy duty(blue), that I think would be correct for everything but the deck spindles and driveshaft, and in another gun I have Lucas Red n Tacky(red) that I believe would be sufficient in the spindles and shafts. If these greases are not correct, what type should I use?

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

either one will work just fine. Every time you change blades give them a little grease.

3. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

HELLO,
    greases 1/high temperature benetone clay
    wheel bearings disc brakes etc [lasts alot longer than a combination grease in this application] WILL NOT tolerate impact loads
    colour - amber

2/ combination grease eg lithium complex ok with joints/ pivots universal joints,acceptable with most bearing applications ,tolerates loads

3/ molybdenum grease suitable for slow moving parts mainly under high load
    typically black/very dark grey

Check original maker for spec ,,,and yes THE WRONG GREASE CAN DESTROY THE ITEM IT IS SUPPOSE TO PROTECT

Contact the customer service of lucas to find out the differences between the 2 ,if this cannot be done change your grease brand

TOMO:waving:

4. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I use the red and tacky on my Scag spindles have held up, no problems for two years.