Mower Deck Treatment???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Weedburner, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Weedburner

Weedburner LawnSite Member

Anyone know of a way to keep grass from sticking under a mower deck? I have tried slip-plate, wax etc. So far all I have found is a putty knife used regularly. Noticed an ad in the Lawnsite store for MO-DECK treatment. Not much information other than sold in case lots. Anyone have experience with something that helps?

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have found that since I went with quality welded mower decks, there is not too much to scrape.

3. Mow some sand, lol. Just kidding. I haven't had much problem with it since I started using Gator Blades.

4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

If you think mud, grass and dirt are bad, you should see a deck (and me for that matter) after mowin Mangos.
    I have about 20 Mango trees on my prop and there's like thousands of them fermenting on the ground. Slimmy stench!:dizzy:

5. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

This may sound odd but, I started using the cheapest cooking spray I could find. Went to Wal-Mart got some, it works pretty good.. You still have to scape some, but overall it is a good low cost way to keep it a little cleaner...

shawn

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I use a material known as Mow Ez. It sounds like a similar material to the Mo-Deck.
    I pressure wash underneath the decks of my equipment, let them dry, then apply the Mow Ez. I usually get a good two days mowing's before I have to reapply.
    I have tried the Pam cooking spray alternative. It doesn't hold up long enough to be of use to me.
    If I do not apply the Mow Ez, I can definately tell a big difference.
    The turf comes out clumped, the quality of cut becomes affected, and the mower labors harder and my fuel consumption raises.

7. GCS LawnService

GCS LawnService LawnSite Member

I have used Mo-Deck for two seasons and I have been very pleased with the product. I usually treat the deck every time I change blades. The only problem with cooking sprays is them freaking gnats other wise known as "dog ****** flies" teehee!

8. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I also use the Mo-Deck. I still need to scrape but the clippings seem to come off easier. I saw another product at Expo last year but haven't used it. It's called Clean Deck by Wilmar Graphite and comes in spray cans, quarts, or gallons. They said it works best to clean the deck good and then brush it on. It might be worth a try.

9. tinye

tinye LawnSite Member

Your gonna laugh, but the oven cleaner Easy Off works pretty good! Just leave it on for a while in it's foam state.:)