Mower Deck Wont Engage /sears

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LADDERMAN643, May 31, 2006.

1. LADDERMAN643

LADDERMAN643 LawnSite Member

CRAFTSMAN II 38" RIDER W/ 12HP B&S -HOW DO U KNOW IF ELECTRIC CLUTCH IS BAD? HOW DO U TEST IT ? -ALL DECK COMPONENTS ARE FREE-THE CLUTCH TURNS FREE WHEN NOT ENGAGED AND NOT RUNNING-IT HAS LITTLE RESISTANCE WHEN ENGAGE AND MOWER NOT RUNNING.YOU HEAR A CLUNK SOUND , LIKE CLUTCH IS ENGAGING WHEN U TURN SWITCH ON. HELP:confused: -THANKS

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

First drop your caps lock, Then read the second thread in this forum.

3. LADDERMAN643

ok I can do that!-caps off
    The engine stalls when u engage the deck of course

4. Restrorob

Could be a safety switch killing the engine when you engage the deck IF everything on the deck is free spinning and nothing locked up. I sent you to the upper thread so you would see to post model numbers, I need the tractor model number so I can look up which style clutch you have and look at the wire harness.

5. LADDERMAN643

Model Number 917.254660 -s/n 1609s06683
    Thanks

6. Restrorob

OK, By the looks of it your clutch is adjustable, It could be out enough to kick in but slip under load.
    You will see three nuts with springs under them, Along side of each nut will be a slot in the clutch housing Insert a 0.012" feeler gage in the slot and it should fit snug, If not tighten the nut until it does. But only turn the nut a little at a time rotating around the clutch at all three slots, Because as you tighten one it will throw the others out.

7. LADDERMAN643

Well i adjusted the clutch which was needed .It took about 1 1/4 turns on each bolt using 1/4 turn at at a time.but i found a relay tied to ignition wire harness . When i disconnected the relay and the mower deck works find. so im tracking the wires on it to see what safety its connected to-thanks very much.I can now mow my yard !!!!-PS i have another project its a toro tiller w/b&s 3.5 hp engine . I need to set the internal flywheel coil. I am getting the tiller INFO and will be in touch-thanks again