Mower decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JDMAN, Apr 20, 2000.

1. JDMAN

JDMAN LawnSite Member

Does anyone know what brand of mower currently has the thickest guage deck?

2. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

It is currently John Deere on the new Ztracks.<br>7 guage one piece stamped still..THick...

3. fdew

fdew LawnSite Member

7 Gauge is .173 thick, 10 Gauge is .134, BUT if it is stamped it will not be any where near 7 gauge in the vertical section. Also the metal it self is changed in the stamping (Hardness, ability to bend vs. crack ETC.) Just gut feeling , I would take a welded 10 gauge over a stamped 7 gauge.

4. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

Ive used both, and I think stamped gives a better cut and is much more durable than fabricated(welded)

5. Alan

Alan Member

Stamped decks have far less corners for stuff to start catching in. If the correct material and processes are used the stamped deck gives up nothing to a fabricated deck in terms of strength. In fact, with the quality (lack of) that I'm seeing in so much factory welding the stamped deck just might last longer.<br>

6. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Well I dont have a caliper with me ,but, the deck on my Great dane is thicker then a .177 cal pellet so it has to be heavier then a 7 guage. <br>I went and checked just to find out.<br>I also thonk that they would have to use a milder steel to stamp a 7 g. deck. I know it is done under heat, but from what I looked at of a friends new JD, hes dented his new 7 iron deck.<br>Just my .02 worth.

7. paddy

paddy LawnSite Member

where did you measure your great dane deck. on the front, well my toro 36 inch is reinforced on the front, probably a 1/4 inch. i don't think you can measure how thick the top of the deck is with a pellet. On my deck. there are dividers that come down, enclosing the cutting area, i wish they were boxed, so grass couldn't get behind them, its a pain to clean that out. It would make the deck stronger too. Deere's deck does look pretty impressive to me, from their website. I wish they made midsize walkbehind decks like they make my 21 inch deck. its cast magnesium, light, strong, and you can put nice curves in it. smooth curves probably make it easier to design proper airflow into the deck

8. derekarbeiter

derekarbeiter LawnSite Member

First of all, welded or stamped, it's all just personal opinion. However, stamped is better when done properly. Airflow is better, strength is better, and that translates to better cut quality and a longer life deck. For example, a welded deck has a welded seam on the top of the side skirts as a part of its design where as the stamped is solid steel= STRONGER. A welded deck has corners which can catch grass where as the stamped has smooth, rounded sides which push grass out= BETTER CUT QUALITY. I am aware that a 7-gauge welded deck is beter than a 12 gauge stamped but when you stamp something such as the 7-IRON, there is no comparison. I think a lot of people see the welded deck and its corners and think that it is stronger because of it just looks beefer. However, you have to realize that a stamped piece of steel is stronger than one with a welded seam. So why do most companies use weded decks? A: Cost and the majority (It costs millions of dollars to buy presses, dies, etc. where as you can weld a deck in your garage. And of course the majority of the consumers have this idea in there head that welded is stronger.) SO YOU DECIDE. DEMO, DEMO, DEMO.

9. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok before the bad boy boys get started about how they are the thickest keep in mind with a fabricated deck look for lamination and reinforcement. Much stronger in the impact area's.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member