Mower Decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thelawnguy, Mar 14, 2000.

1. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I use a putty knife a couple times a week. Pressure washer under the deck only makes a mess, IMO.<p>Bill

2. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

Theres a product out called moweze which is supposed to keep grass from sticking to the deck. I put it on my mowers this winter but havent been able to see how it works yet cuase i haven't started cutting. All you do is wipe it on with a rag, let it dry put on another coat and that's it.

3. DTM65

DTM65 LawnSite Member

This may not work well for people going job-to-job, but I rigged up a double ramp with some 8 ft long 2 x 10's that I can run my Scag ZTR up on in the back of my property.<p>This gets the bottom of the deck around a foot off of the ground and makes it alot easier to clean it with a putty knife.<p>It's still not a fun job.<br><p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>

4. LeanGreen

LeanGreen LawnSite Member

You ain't lived until you tried to scrape the dried underside of a 72&quot; BushHog mulching deck (6 blades, 3 blade configuration with a second set counter rotating). It can turn wet grass into a green paste. I'm thinking of marketing the stuff as glue. I found a large screwdriver (for the tight spots) and a GOOD putty knife was my only option. I just got wet using my power washer, and at 3000 PSI, it even had a hard time getting the stuff off. I may try the spray stuff, but i doubt it will help.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Little Green Guy wrote:<p>&lt;&lt;Theres a product out called moweze &gt;&gt;<p>I have some Moweze I'll give you. Silicon spray works better, is easier to apply and is cheaper. I have searched high and low for some way to keep wet grass (we have heavy dew almost everyday here) from sticking to decks. I even contacted some of those non-stick coatings companies but they wouldn't reply.

6. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Folks,<p>Been archiving again and found this thread. I'm doing maintenance/cleaning on all my equipment this fine Saturday and had a couple questions about cleaning my decks.<p>1) I see many of you use various knives and screwdrivers to scrape your decks. Is this what most of you use? No fear of damaging the underside with something sharp or edged? (I suppose the underside goes through enough turbulence in a day that it shouldn't matter, eh?)<p>2) I've heard that a can of non-stick cooking spray works very well to keep the decks clean. Have you heard the same? Do you recommend it's use? If so, how often? Once a month or whenever you scrape?<p>Thanks again in advance!<p>-TGC

7. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

TGC,<p>1) It doesn't matter what you use, As long as it doesn't have a motor or an engine on it, there is no way you'll hurt the underside of your deck.<p>2)You can spray diesel fuel or cooking spray or silicone or whatever works for you under the deck after you clean it out good. It doesn't actually keep the $hit from building up under your deck, but it does make it a hell of a lot easier to clean off<p>Those other guys were right about the pressure washers, SCRAPE FIRST, and clean off as much as you can if your going to use a pressure washer. If you don't it just makes a mess.<p>And heres a tip for after you pressure wash ANYTHING with moving parts: Grease and lubricate everything after you wash it. I know the grease don't look pretty on your front casters and the grass sticks to it, etc, but it'll save you a lot of money down the road. <p>Go by the book as far as your maintenance goes and you'll be covering your ass. Also keep good records so you keep up on maintenance and schedueles.<p>Good Luck and happy cleaning!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

DON'T pressure wash where the sealed bearing are or you'll be replacing them!!!! I found out the hard way they are not sealed very well.

9. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I found the silicon spray to be very effective on my Walker. Put it on 30 hours<br>ago and the deck is still quite clean.<p>Karl<br>

10. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

My brother in law suggested used motor oil , he uses it on his riding mower since new, worked good for him. Didn't do squat for mine though just made the clippings greasy, we scrape our decks every time the blades are changed.