mower dies when blades are engaged

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dubaholic2, Apr 18, 2010.

1. dubaholic2

dubaholic2 LawnSite Member

scag sw36-13ka, kawasaki fc420v. just got it running and tried to use it for the first time and when i went to engage the blades the mower dies. no matter what i do everytime i engage the blades it dies. i figure there must be a safety or something thats not working correctly, but im not sure where it would be. if anyone can help with this i would greatly appreciate it. thanks, ian

2. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Try choking it before and as you engage the blades. That will pretty much rule out any shot of engine failure. Electric or manual engage? Check your operator presence safety as well.

3. overtime mp

overtime mp LawnSite Member

This had happend on my deere. There was a bearing that was locked up so it would die. Can you spin the blades manual?

4. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

i have an older toro that I have to half choke it everytime. Just one of those things

5. Outdoor_Maintenance_2010

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010 LawnSite Senior Member

hope you dont have the engine running at high rpm's when you do so

6. Diesel59

Diesel59 LawnSite Member

could be the safety switch on the handles.... they go bad from time to time. That is really the only thing that will kill the blades when you try and engage them.

7. dubaholic2

dubaholic2 LawnSite Member

the safety swith on the handles was bypassed long before i got the mower. as for the pulleys, i cant turn everything easily by hand. i have the mower running at full throttle when engaging the blades. should i not do this? i would imagine it would need the power to take the extra drag of the blades engaging. if im wrong please correct me and explain this to me. thanks, ian

8. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Applying the choke is a good way to troubleshoot . If you carb is running lean,(partially clogged) you wont have enough gas for the engine to handle the load of engaging the blades.

Top governed speed is ok to engage the blades, I dont think you're going to hurt the belts.

9. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Any wires going to the trans? If so remove the switch they go to and see if the ball on the end of it is free moving, or rusted or gone altogether. Both this and the one on the blade linkage work in concert. The trans switches tend to rust sitting on top of the trans and taking in water. They can eventually come apart when you shift into gear; sounds like your situation when you went to move it from behind the trailer.
    A blown head gasket or loose spark plug will cause an engine to suffer under load too.
    Synch your choke and throttle adjustment, if applicable.

10. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

After rethinking this, it seems a failed neutral switch would prevent it from starting altogether, not kill it when blades engage. Might be worth a look though.