1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mower doesnt want to start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SECTLANDSCAPING, Nov 1, 2011.

1. SECTLANDSCAPING

SECTLANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

My back up walk behind wouldnt start. Its a old proline with a fb460. I used it two weeks ago and tried to use it today. This is how I used it all year. The gas was two weeks old also. Even though I dont think the gas was bad I drained it out and emptied the bowl. Then put gas from this week that was used in my other mowers in.

I put a new plug in and had no spark with it but the old plug did spark lightly.

I unplugged some of the safety wires and that didnt help. I also cleaned the air filter.

A few times in a row it did try to start and when I went to take choke off died. Then I couldnt get it to repeat.

So do you think this is bad gas, carb, or electrical?

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Is there a fuel shut off solenoid on the carb? My Grasshopper had the same problem. The connection at the solenoid was corroded .

3. SECTLANDSCAPING

SECTLANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

I dont believe so. At this point I'm just trying to fix and store it. I'm going to clean the carb tomorrow but it shouldnt have gotten dirty.