1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower doesnt want to start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SECTLANDSCAPING, Nov 1, 2011.

My back up walk behind wouldnt start. Its a old proline with a fb460. I used it two weeks ago and tried to use it today. This is how I used it all year. The gas was two weeks old also. Even though I dont think the gas was bad I drained it out and emptied the bowl. Then put gas from this week that was used in my other mowers in.

I put a new plug in and had no spark with it but the old plug did spark lightly.

I unplugged some of the safety wires and that didnt help. I also cleaned the air filter.

A few times in a row it did try to start and when I went to take choke off died. Then I couldnt get it to repeat.

So do you think this is bad gas, carb, or electrical?
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Is there a fuel shut off solenoid on the carb? My Grasshopper had the same problem. The connection at the solenoid was corroded .

I dont believe so. At this point I'm just trying to fix and store it. I'm going to clean the carb tomorrow but it shouldnt have gotten dirty.