Mower drags in rear while loading

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hookset, Jan 21, 2002.

1. If the back of the trailer is higher than the front, it will sway.

You should have the front a few inches higher than the back.

Mine are around 6 inches higher in the front than back.

When I carry heavier stuff in the bed of the trucks the trailers sit almost level.

2. Ok what is hanging on the trailer if you drive on or back off?

The back of the mower should not hit anything as there is only the ground to hit.

That is the only part of the frame i can see hitting anything.

3. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

Thanks, I'll raise it with a new receiver a few inches and give it a try.

4. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

Wheelie bars drag the ground. Wheel base on the exmark is roughly 4' 8" and the angle of the gate is to high. My rear bumper on my truck is higher than most so its about 3 inches higher than the rear of the trailer already.

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I had a trailer with a 4 foot gate and sometimes the mowers would scrape. My next trailer had a 5 foot gate and the mowers never scrape. Also try backing on , instead of going foward.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've got the ultra vac attached.

Thats your problem! The Ultra-Vac is one heavy sucker~! What pressure are your rear tires at? I put mine to 15 PSI when the Ultra-Vac is on. This seemed to help this for me. I also use the foot lift to give it the extra 1/2" or so clearance to the deck. You may want to try bolting on a 2x4 across the part of the gate that touches the ground. This will lessen the angle of the gate. You'll have a little bit of a lip to jump up with the front casters, but the angle will be better. 5' and bigger gates have a hard time fitting under garage doors!

Good Luck.

This post gets the award for the most replies in 1/2 hour!!!

7. Good idea on the 2 x 4.

That will change your gate angle.

8. Jim Feder

Jim Feder LawnSite Member

my scag goes both ways but i don't on a 4 foot ramp.:eek: :D :D :D

9. Have you seen those trailers with the 2 foot ramp/gate, I think they have a 2 foot dove tail also.

I want to find one for my next trailer.

10. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I Allways knew something was a little fishy about scags, but i never knew that they went both ways...my Dixie with trac-vac has no problen getting up a 5 foot STRAIGHT on :)