1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mower Draining Batteries

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CFLS22, Apr 25, 2013.

1. CFLS22

CFLS22 LawnSite Member

Just bought an Exmark Vantage in the fall and since then it has gone through 2 batteries. The first one was fairly new and second one was put in this spring and it was a Partsmaster so no cheapo battery. Today that one went to shizz and now I'm looking into a third batt within 1 month of mowing. This mower does have a small alternator in it so do you guys think there may be something wrong with electrical components or just some bad luck?

2. Chineau

Chineau LawnSite Member

Do you have a multi meter check output of charging system when machine running should have 13 plus volts.

3. CuttingEdgeLawnGuys

CuttingEdgeLawnGuys LawnSite Member

+1 on multi meter, should be getting 13+ volts...if not its probably an issue with the alternator under the flywheel cover. Check your battery connections too, might be loose.
    If its under warranty, bring it back and have the dealer mess with that.

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Agree with above. Also want to add that a 'battery tender' is a great investment for over-Wintering batteries as well as keeping them topped off power-wise.

5. BradLewisLawnCare

BradLewisLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

starter? solenoid is an option. i have had a couple go and after switching them out, no more issues

6. TriCityLawnCareLLC

TriCityLawnCareLLC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

Did you buy the Vantage brand new? IF so, the batteries and whatever is wrong should be covered under warranty. I bought a lazer last fall and battery was dead this spring- they warrantied it without problems.

7. Yard Guard of Minnesota

Yard Guard of Minnesota LawnSite Member

Sounds like the battery is doing all the work and getting no help from the charging system. It is Rare to have that many bad batteries in that short of time. It can happen but more likely something is taking them out.

Destry Foyte
    Yard Guard of Minnesota

8. CFLS22

CFLS22 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys yea battery was replaced under warranty. I was told by dealer to check for 13+ volts at full throttle but I also found I'm picking up 13 when engine is off. Is this correct?

9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Did you bypass the safety switch on the seat

10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

How do they get the alternator fit under the flywheel:hammerhead:

Do you mean the stator??