1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower Engines - Briggs & Stratton or Honda?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheGrassGuy, Jun 24, 2002.

1. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

I have been looking into buying a Honda, Toro or Husqvarna 21" mower (these are the only dealers in my area). The Toro model I have been looking at (Super-Recycler) as well the Husqvarna (580RSW) both have Briggs and Stratton motors. Both are 6.5hp - I am not sure what model is on the Toro but the Husqvarna has the B&S Intek OHV. What do you think of these motors compared with the Honda GCV160 5.5 hp overhead cam engine that is on the HRR216KDC? Power and dependability?

I am not looking at the commercial models as they are out of the budget ($1500 Can.).
  2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

father in law works at a rental place said the hondas are great he wont touch bs these arent on mowers they are on pressure washers generators etc but are subject to a lot of abuse
  3. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

I can also get a LawnBoy - Silver Series. How do these fit in the comparisons?
  4. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Toro 21' proline with the 6.5 Briggs and Stratton. This engine had some negative reviews when it first came out in 1998 but refinements have turned it into quite a good engine. I can't complain about mine. It starts on the first pull, has loads of power (more so than my Kawasaki engine on my 21' John Deere) and is full efficient. I suppose its reputation will never equal that of Honda but I have enjoyed it so far.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Small honda motors are awesome. They don't know how to die. I have one with between 2500 and 3000 hours on it. Still cranks on the 1st pull. I have 3 other small honda motors also that have been perfect.
  6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Honda!!!!!! I have two Honda's with lots of hours and they still start and run excellent!!!!! Go with a Honda if you have the choice.:) ;) :) ED
  7. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

toro rocks i love my personal pace with the 6 horse bs. and i mow about 4 hours aday with it for the past 4 summers.
  8. If you can buy a lawn boy 21 over the other ones you mention. Be a pro and go with lawn boy the best 21 inb the bunch
  9. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i sold my commercial mower a 36 honda for 200 just to get it out of the yard guy still uses it daily i paid 500 for my first wb they are out there i see them all the time in classifieds
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i ive used many briggs motors and ,have to say their pretty solid if taken care of.
    they not a kohler or kawisaki tho.
    i dont assume things much with motors . but the pros like,honda , so they must be pretty good.