Mower For Steep Hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gamoose, Apr 11, 2003.

1. gamoose

gamoose LawnSite Member

BEING FAIRLY NEW TO THIS GAME, I HAVE FOUND I AM IN NEED OF A GOOD MOWER FOR FAIRLY STEEP HILLS IN SMALL (LESS THAN 1/2 ACRE=/-) LOTS. LIKE I SAID THESE ARE STEEP HILLS, BUT ALSO I A NEED MANEUVERABILITY. WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR BASED ON YOUR ALLS EXPERIENCE. MOST OF THESE HILLS ARE IN AN UPPER-CLASS NEIGHBORHOOD BUT I THINK THE VETERAN LCO'S ARE PASSING THESE BY. I AM PRICING THESE ON THE HIGH END TO MAKE IT WORTHWHILE BUT I'M MANAGING TO PICK UP MORE THAN I COUNTED ON. THANKS FOR YOUR POSTS. JOSH

2. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

What size are you talking about? Small 21"? Larger like 60"?

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Check out either a hydro walk behind (52" or so) or a stander. Those things do pretty well on hills if you know how to use them right, and don't get scared easily.

4. gamoose

gamoose LawnSite Member

I am talking 36" or 32". I have just bought an commerical aeriens (21"), to take care of an immediate need. It does an excellent job, but I am seeking a "second" type mower for speed on these properties. I also want this mower to go into gates but have never owned a hydro/gear type so I would like to know what traits or features to look for in these mowers, and if one type can handle short, steep hills in tight areas. I have a 48" ztr but it's not doing the job. I guess I want about backwards with my equipment, but the ztr fills another need the wb can't. Any advice would help.

5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

If you want to go with a machine that small, probably your best bet would be a hydro walk behind. You can use a belt driven walk behind too, but they don't do as well because of the strain on the belts over time.

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

If it wasn't for gates I'd say a 52" hydro drive walk behind and sulky would be perfect (is for me) but since you have gates you are forced to stay with a 32" or 36". A hydro is MUCH better on hills!!!! A belt drive will go on the hill but it will point downward forcing you to constantly squeeze the uphill brake which makes your hands wear out very fast and your hands will then hurt.... Hydro is my vote!!! More maneuverable and better at trimming and also pulls a sulky better too! I have a 52" Scag hydro and sulky and couldn't be happier :blob4:

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a 36" hydro might be your answer.

8. fox

fox LawnSite Member
    from MN

not sure on how much you want to spend but wright stander produces a 36 that is amazing on hills and leaves a great cut. worked well for me.

9. The Plant Poet

The Plant Poet LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Steep Hills! :blob3:

Get a 21" mower, tie a rope to the handle and stand at the top of the hill. :D