Mower gonna explode?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jarrells74, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Jarrells74

Jarrells74 LawnSite Member

I have a 48" Kees wb with a 12.5 Kaw on it. It runs great, but when I engage the blades, the thing sounds like it is gonna blow up. REALLY loud. I am new to commercial wb's. How loud is the average mower once you engage the blades? I am afraid to run this at a customers house. I think they will run me off. It isn't knocking or anything, it is just loud. It sounds like it may have bearing noise or something. Any ideas? I am gonna have to use the ol trusty Lawn boy untill I get this fixed.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Itsounds like your mower needs some work,maybe spindle bearings,or idler pulleys. Grease all the fittings and check the bearings for slop,and spin the blades and feel for the rough ones.A lot of play is a sign that they are bad too

3. Jarrells74

What if I feel some rough spindles? Is that the sign of bad bearings, or pullys? How can you tell the difference between a bad bearing or pully?

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I would remove the belt,and spin the spindles by hand,you'll hear/feel the noisey one real easy.Usually you'll have a lot of free play in that one also. You may also have a bent spindle,which will vibrate the machine if its bad enough,and a bent spindle can cause the bearings to go bad as well. Id replace any spindle bearings with roughness,noise or those with excess play.If you have a bent spindle,it might be cheaper to buy an entire spindle assy,and bolt it in. also spin the idlers while the belt is off,feel for rough/dry bearings and replace them now,they'll take out a belt when the seize up if you dont.

5. Jarrells74

Thx for the tips...

6. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of sound is it ?? COuld it just be belts squealling while engaging the blades ?? all my mahcines make a loud squel while engaging the blades, the pully is spinning at engine RPM and then you go shift the lever or switch to tighten the blade belt or clutch and your gonna get a squelling sound as the belt catches.. Thats just the way they are... If that is what the sound is ??