1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower Headlights --- what do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Likestomow, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

This year I plan to install lights on my Chopper. I was thinking about using two round 5” Eagle Eyes with 100 watt halogen bulbs.

I’d like to know what has worked well for others.
  2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

What're you gonna do, mow at night???
  3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I know Snappers have them in their 61's and so do a few other manufacturers. Noone plans to mow w/ lights on ... certainly not at night when noise ordinances are in effect, but if you get stuck late at a job, or its late in the season and light fades fast, its a good option to have.;)

4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I mounted 2 55 watt round light on my the Lazer. They work great and a pretty bright. We don't cut at night but they come in handy alot when where trying to finish up a job in the fall when it get dark early or loading equipment. They're always nice to have.
  5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I will use them to mow early mornings on commercial properties.
  6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

HELLA FF75 (55W Halogen)

They work like a charm for those early spring/late fall "short" days. PLENTY bright! ;)

As a solo guy I need all the help I can get..heehee.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I tooled around with the idea of adding a single halogen mounted on the deck height/lift bracket. But was concerned about when I "eat a tree" and it getting knocked off or breaking the lens. I dont abuse my equipment, but those lights you have wouldn't last 2 yards on my Lazer.
  8. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I had a car-repair light that plugs into a cigarette lighter. It's for emergencies on a car and it's a real bright light that has a solid magnetic base.. Idea is you break down, but can hook up this light to the cig lighter and see what the heck is going wrong...

So, I cut off the cigarette lighter adapter, spliced the wire, hooked it up to a switch and in-line fuse and ran it right to the battery. Being I had a riding mower, I can stick the light on the steering column and it lights up everything in front of me terrific. I put the switch also on the steering column so it's easy on/off.

Being the light is magnetic mounted, if I do hit a tree branch that's low, the light will fall to the side, but the cord/wire catches it from falling to the ground and then I just re-attach it. I too was concerned about solid mounting it and breaking the lens, etc.

It's the best mod I ever made, especially here in NJ as you want to finish the grass and it's like 7:15 pm, just getting dark during the spring, fall. etc...

The light is so bright, I would also consider it to be safe to do at night.

9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

So far, so good.

As they sit back several inches from the casters (and inline with the outriggers) the only thing they have ever come in contact with has been some bushes...but that is infrequently. One light has a light scratch on top but otherwise they still look new...400+ lawns later. That part of the mower is rarely up next to anything. I was worried about vibration but after about 6 months of use they still have the original bulbs in them. They are mounted on steel stock brackets that I made up so they have some flex (spring) if you push back on them and the lights are attached using lock washers so they will swivel if something did get hit. They stay in alignment and vibration is minimal but you can turn them by hand if needed.

These particular lights are made for mounting under a car bumper (or in the grill) so I guess they are made to withstand some abuse.

I'll go and knock on some wood now......:)
  10. lawnstripeslawns

lawnstripeslawns LawnSite Member
    from sw ohio

I know a old man that cuts his 10 acres at night.Said he had a heat stroke once and only cuts on cool days or nights .
    You may need some bug repelent at night.

nice set up sls.