1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower height setting

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by troberts, Sep 12, 2001.

1. troberts

troberts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

My Metro 48" came from the dealer with the following height setting:

Axle position: D
    Number of spacers below caster: 1/2" = 2, 3/16" = 0
    Number of 1/4" spacers below spindle = 2

This combination is not found on the chart in the manual. Best I can tell is that this setting is 1/16" shorter than 2 3/4"
    i.e 2 7/8 - 3/16 or 2 14/16 - 3/16 = 2 11/16 or 1/16" shorter than 2 3/4".

Is this configuration o.k. for the mower, or should the mower be configured to match a setting on the chart (in the manual)?

Moving the 3/16" caster spacer below the caster would give me a chart setting of 2 7/8".

Could I move this caster space up and down to switch between the two heights, and expect the mower to cut properly at either setting?

2. troberts

troberts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Hello? eXmark? Anyone out there?

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

I know that I was slow in responding to this one and I apologize. I had to figure out why the mower would come to you that way. Here is what I have for you.

The set up that is on your mower now is fine to mow with. Our friends in assembly set the mower that way for shipping, it must fit the crate and travel better for shipping. One thing to remember is the chart is only a guide and not law. I did a little checking and measuring to see where we are at on the chart. This is what I found, keep in mind this probably does vary a little.

1/2"=2, 3/16"=0 cutting height at 2 7/8"
    1/2"=2, 3/16"=1 cutting height at 3 1/16"
    Both of these are with 2, 1/4" spacers below spindle and axle in D.

To keep the mower cutting the best I would not put all 4 of the 1/2" spacers below. The front end will get too high and you will probably see a lot of blow out. I have seen guys’ use many different combos's of spacer for many different reasons. What may work well for one guy and the grass conditions he has, may not work at all for the next guy.

Once again I do apologize for it taking so long to respond, I didn't want to read it out of the book to you. Hope I helped?

Thanks, Fred.