Mower Help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cwlawley, Nov 12, 2005.

1. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Hey everyone. I am getting ready to purchase a new mower for next season. I am interested in getting a zero-degree radius rider since most of the lots in North Carolina have a lot of corners and turns. I have seen in lowes mowers like the Husqvarna 17.5 42" znc ghd Cub Cadet 22HP 50" (both under $3K for new). I wasn't sure if these hold up well, I assume they are commerical grade? May be wrong...or should I defintely spend the extra money for an exmark or bob cat?

Thanks for the help in advance.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The two units you mention are NOT commercial grade units, I don't know about the Husqvarna but I can tell you after working on a few Cubs that they are tee total JUNK. Spend the extra cash and buy a REAL commercial unit, You wont regret it.
  3. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have the 22hp 50" Cub but only have had it 2 months so I don't have enough time on it yet to grade it. Depends on how many yards you will mow with it. I only plan to mow 10-15 yards/week of which half might be with the Cub. I expect it to hold up well for this much use.
  4. mch181

mch181 LawnSite Member

yea im into getting a zero run mower too. ive cut it down to these 2
    Ferris Industries IS 1500z (has susspension)
    Hustler Fastrak 44inch
    and along with these i will be getting a small walkbehind
    Simplicity Pacer (32 inch hydro my mower shop recomends it)
    or Ferris Hydro Cut 36inch
    wat shall it be i dont know!

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Stay out of Lowe's for commercial equipment.
    Husky and Cub do make commercial stuff but not sold at Lowe's
    For a good commercial unit in that size range expect to spend more like $6.000.
  6. cwlawley

I guess I should have given a little more information too. First, I will be doing close to 40 lots a week during the entire season, most of them will e done using this mower. I am looking for something good quality, but right now I don't have 5-6K to spend if I can help it. What are your best recommendations?
  7. cwlawley

I got a really nice blower from there, commerical grade. Works like a charm. I think that there is a negative vibe when it comes to Lowes and Home Depot. They aren't bad for everything!
  8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There are no good quality homeowner units at the big box stores that will hold up very long to commerical use. Check with your local dealers on different brands and prices and most have demo units. You may find a commercial grade unit for under 5k, They could have some trade in units.That would be better than flushing 3k down the thrown.
  9. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

look at "BAD BOY" mowers, have a friend that bought one and they look very well built.
    I have a 60 SCAG zero-turn and though I only use it to mow around our farm because we don't do any more mowing. I has been a good machine as well.
  10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Take the 3K you intend on spending for a homeowner unit and buy a new belt drive walkbehind unit. Couple this with a sulky and you have your reliable, commercial grade mower.
    I like the wb set up so well, I am changing my crew's equipment to all walk behinds, no more ztr's.