Mower Help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mjf3885, Mar 18, 2006.

1. mjf3885

mjf3885 LawnSite Member

I have been reading these message boards for quite a while and I want to say thank you to all of you for providing such a valuable resource for people starting in the industry.

This is my first year in the industry and I have successfully gained three clients in the last week. One is a residence and two are commercial clients. The residence is around 1/2 acre and the commercial clients are a full acre. I am now in the process of buying my equipment and this is where I need your help. Could you please advise me on the type of mower I should buy?

In analyzing my decision I need to know what type of lawns I will be mowing. I am going to mainly focus on residence with 1/2 acre lawns. I will still go after some commercial accounts, but I feel that my two existing clients might be all I will have this year. I have came to the conclusion that I am in need of a zero turn mower. Would everyone agree with that?

I am have been looking and I have two ztr mowers that are in my price range $2K - $2.5K. One is a 1991 grasshopper, but it only has a 14 HP engine. This mower has a 44 inch deck. Does anyone know if this old of a mower is worth it? The other is a two year old Zipper brand. The Zipper is manufactured locally. It has a 17 HP engine with dual hydro-stat transmission. This mower has a 44 inch deck. Has anyone heard of the Zipper brand?

Both of these mowers are around $2K. Are either or both worth it? What would you recommend? I really appreciate any feedback and would love your professional advice.

Thanks in Advance!!!

2. cwmiller928

cwmiller928 LawnSite Member

I had the same decision and decided to just go get one off of the show room floor. I got a 52 inch wright stander rapid height adjustment its awsome. That away its under factory warranty and all. dont have to worry about stuff breaking and having to replace it. just an idea. If you plan on doing this for awhile new is the way to go. that away only you know whats been done to it and how hard you've ran it. just my .02

3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i would say they are way too expensive.imo

4. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: ROFL.

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Never heard of a zipper, buyer beware be ready for break downs and expensive cost.

6. jeremy067390

jeremy067390 LawnSite Member

i would say try for a brand new or lightly used belt drive walk behind. 48 is perfect especially when you find out if this is for you, then you can add a zero turn mower and have a good set up. on the small lawns yourgoing to just run into trouble if all you are packing is a 60inch rider or any other size rider for that matter. tearing up grass becomes a problem. if i didnt have a partner id would probably use the exmark lz about 1/2 as often as the husquvarna