1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lbostons, May 6, 2007.

1. lbostons

lbostons LawnSite Member

I am fairly new to the forum and think that there is some good advice in here if you can find it. I mow a 2.5 acre lot with a small creek through my yard and several trees. I have $5000-6000 to spend on a new zero turn mower but am unsure what to purchase. I have visited a few local retailers, most notably Kubota, Exmark, Hustler, and Cub Cadet. I have also been trying to research via this forum but to be honest it is quite overwhelming. Can anyone provide me with their opinions on what to purchase for the money that I have to spend. My yard is a little bumby also. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The mowers you mentioned above are very good machines, you need to demo each one in the price range you are considering. Remember, all dealers are not created equal, good dealer relations is a very important factor.

You are the only one able to make the choice of what works best for you.
    Everyone that mows commercially has likes and dislikes about every mower on the market, what is wonderful in one area of the country may not be as good in another.

You demo the mowers and see what you like, compare cut quality, ride, ease of handling (what controls feel best to you), ease of maintenance and simplicity of design (not to many unnecessary things on the mower to wear out).

I hope this gives you a few things to think about and consider. There are a lot of good products on the market, maybe some of these ideas will help you in your decision. Good Luck, let us know what you decide on.