Mower help

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by lbostons, May 7, 2007.

1. lbostons

lbostons LawnSite Member

I am fairly new to the forum and think that there is some good advice in here if you can find it. I mow a 2.5 acre lot with a small creek through my yard and several trees. I have $5000-6000 to spend on a new zero turn mower but am unsure what to purchase. I have visited a few local retailers, most notably Kubota, Exmark, Hustler, and Cub Cadet. I have also been trying to research via this forum but to be honest it is quite overwhelming. Can anyone provide me with their opinions on what to purchase for the money that I have to spend. My yard is a little bumby also. Thanks in advance for any help!

lbostons

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Our FasTrak series is built for your application.
    Add a set of Flex Forks and that will take care of your bumpy yard.
    What dealer are you talking to?
    Are there size restrictions? as in do you have limited tight storage space that would limit what deck size you buy? or tight areas to mow?
    Look at the 48, 52 or 54 inch FasTraks, demo one and you will be sold.

Pj

3. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

ge you a mini z with flex forks and the new flex seat. i would go with 23 horse 52 in cut.

4. lbostons

lbostons LawnSite Member

I am dealing with Taylor and Sons out of Canal Winchester, Ohio. I will do just that and see what opetions that I have.

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

There currently is not a Flex Seat available for the Mini Z series.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

You are in good hands there.
    Demo demo demo....
    Tell them Pj says Hi.

Pj

7. lbostons

lbostons LawnSite Member

Ok I will, thanks PJ

8. divotman

divotman LawnSite Member

This sounds EXACTLY like the situation I am in. I have seen the Exmark Lazer Z HP and Scag Tiger Cub (albeit with a Briggs engine) and have "looked into" Dixon, Toro, Grasshopper & Hustler.
    I currently mow just over 2 acres with a tractor style JD GT235 18hp Kaw & 48" deck. It takes me 2 hours or so just to mow and is quite bumpy in places. I have never had a problem with the Deere but want something faster so I can finish in about an hour.
    I have not yet seen the Hustler but think I will be looking at a Mini Z 19hp Kaw & 52" deck. If I go with this brand I think I would 'spring' for the flex forks. I previously owned an older Dixon homeowner cone model with a 12hp Kaw & 40" or 42" deck that I really liked but my yard wore it out quick.
    I am most interested in a mower that year after year all I have to do is routine PM and turn the key, provides a smooth cut and is quick.
    This is my first post so I welcome all advice.

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

You are on the right track for sure.
    A 19/52 Mini Z will certainly work for you, it may be overkill, a FasTrak will work great also.
    They are both super easy as far as PM goes and both will handle your property with ease.
    Go look at them both and drive them, price them and make a decision, no matter what you will be on the right mower.

Pj

10. 69lt1bird

69lt1bird LawnSite Member

I just used my new 21/54: Fastrac last night for the first time. I came from a 52" Ferris WB so I already had a quality cut. This thing is great, full speed and looks 10 times better than the Ferris and my knees don't hurt today (extra Bonus). I don't have the smoothest yard and I also mowed some very bumpy areas and so far I am satisifed with the ride, maybe I will get the Flex Forks in the future, time will tell. For a 1.5 - 2.5 lawn I would recommed this mower to anyone. I went with the Kawasaki because of how good the Ferris performed with one and also more commercial mowers in my area seem to run them as well.