Mower hourly usage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogreencanada, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Can we get some feedback on how many hours you put on your mowers each season. (on average) Let us know what area of the country your from, how long your season lasts (avg.) and the brand name of your equipment. The reason I'm asking, is because I'm from Canada, and average between 400-500hrs/year, so when it comes to warranty, we get shafted bigtime. Warranty up here is the same even though the mowers sit inside for 5months of the year. I've tried to get manufacturers to base warranty on an hourly basis not just the calender year, thereby,making it fair for everyone. I mean really,.... what's the diff?

2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I here ya there. I probably run 500 - 700 hours / machine with gas motors. Our wide area mowers with diesel run around 1000 - 1300 hours, skid 500 - 700 hours here and all little stuff - like trac vac engines, wb mowers we put hour meters on those and it is a joke the amount of hours that they total vs the warrenty that is being offered!

3. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

400-500 for gas mowers, 600 for diesel Kubota mowers, 700 for wide area mowers.

4. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

i cut 42 weeks a year. avg 324 on the 52 inch 81 hrs on the 36

5. Because it is such a select market, I believe that the mowing companies think they have us over a barrel. I disagree. After working at a golf course for 20 years and now on my own for the last 10, I KNOW there are enough of us out there that we could have some input to exactly what is a reasonable warranty for mowing equipment. To me, it wouldn't be that farfetched to have a 1000 hr warranty in place. It would be all relative, because the southern folk will have used that up in 15 months or so and it would be fair to the northern people who would take about 15 "actual" mowing months as well.

6. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I don't think your idea on hourly usage vs. time is ever going to work. The hour gauges are easy to disengage if you wanted to. Then you could just plug the mechanism up, show up at the dealer and show a couple hundred hours...years after you purchased your equipment. Also, what about the homeowner the buys a piece of commercial equipment. They may not have 1000hrs for 20 yrs or more.

Bottom line is that it is an accounting issue. The manufacturers have to set aside a certain amount for warranty work for every piece of equipment they sell. It would impossible for them to show a reliable profit figure if they had no idea how many mowers they actually had left under warranty. It is easy for them to keep track of on a yearly basis.

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Was 2/3 time last summer (128 acres per week) - Put on 1150 hrs total on 3 machines. Mostly on mine and my wifes. The back up mower did 150 hrs.
    Will be at 160 acres this coming summer, and 200 acres per week the following summer when we go full time. I then anticipate some part time help, and all three machines running more of the time. It will probably end up being about 800 hrs. on the two main machines, and 400 on the backup or partime machine. About 2000 total hrs.

8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

lol, were hardly on the mowers here in jersey :p For instance, my largest lots are 1-3 acres at best. My Ferris 48" is1500z mower i got around May 1st 07, so 6 months of mowing on it and its got 46hrs i believe, thats 2 cutting days a week on that machine. I put 140hrs on the 61" deck ferris mower, 30hrs on the 34' hydro walk behind.

If i was out in Iowa, Ohio, Michigan etc, im sure i could sit on the machine for an hour here and there purely mowing, in jersey, the LONGEST im on a machine is ~25 minutes. One of my 3 acre residentials i trim while another guy is mowing, then i hop on the other mower and finish. He is usually on it for 35~ minutes for that size property.

9. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

My primary mower gets about 300-350 hours per year...my Toro wb for backyards get WAY less than that...

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

My ztrs and stand on units ( a total of six) average @750 hrs per year.
    The 36" and 21" machines get about half that.
    My compact tractor sees about 200 or so.
    My fleet vehicles (4) see about 25K in miles each.
    I operate in Central Texas.