1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mower Identification and Engine Help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by getdown, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

DING DING DING...... And we have a winah !!!

Snapper M# W48120......

You can put any engine you like on there as long as you do as Greg said, Crank length and diameter..... I'd suggest 15hp or larger for that size deck, I'm sure that engine was running a peak output.....

2. getdown

getdown LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Thank you. Is there any engine that you guys would recommend? If I go with a more powerful engine (15+) do I need to make any other changes to support it ?

3. Restrorob

No changes needed if you get one with the same throttle control configuration, Can't recommend a engine without crankshaft specs.....

4. getdown

from Florida

might my crankshaft vary from the rest of kawasaki FB460v's? Is it determined by the engine or by the mower? Basically (because I'm am mechanically handicapped), can I look it up based on what I know Snapper Model W48120 paired with a Kawasaki FB460v

5. getdown

from Florida

also, in theory, if I put a 20hp engine on my mower, would this create any problems?

6. getdown

from Florida

I read in another forum that it has a 1" x 3 5/32" crankshaft

7. getdown

from Florida

which i guess in metric is 25mm x 80mm

8. Restrorob

That's only a guess....... Know for SURE by removing the engine, Then the crank pulleys then measure the crank.

15 to 18hp is plenty nuff.

If you know nothing about this, You may be better off leaving it to someone who does......

9. getdown

from Florida

10. getdown

from Florida

oh and by the way, in the video I took the air filter off, but I do have it.