1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mower im looking at

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by zim bob the landscaper, Feb 15, 2006.

1. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

That engine is messed up looking!!!!??? Its a kohler that looks like a twin cyl. Kawasaki!!!????? Mower is probably the same as a bradley or Pirana. How easy can you get parts for them??? Did you order it already or are you just wanting an opinion first???
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

FWIW, For close to the same price, You could get a BOBCAT Classic 48" w/ a 15hp Briggs or kohler, plus the trimmer and blower at my dealer!!! I would stay away from the no-name knock off brands personally! IMO if you want to run that kind of mower, you might as well get weedeater or crapsman 2 stroke equipment!!! Your cutting corners either way IMO.
  4. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I also saw this in their catalogue a while back. Seems like a good deal but for just a little more you can go brand name.
  5. vixlawnservice

vixlawnservice LawnSite Member

I am with J&R, being able to service your mower easily is important. Parts, like belts and blades will wear out. These parts are specific to the make and model of the mower, which can be hard to find if you don't have a local dealer. Keeping a good relationship with a local dealer is good for business.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

That's a Kohler "Aegis" engine I believe. They are found on usually residential equipment now, kinda like the cheaper Chinese Honda engines now. I did read in one catalog that their mowers aren't made by the same place as the landscaper supply mowers used to be. I actually saw the auction on E-bay a year or two ago for the entire assembly facility and all machines that used to be landscaper supply. The new mowers look an awful lot like the Bradley/Redhawk china-crap mowers... (not that their old brand looked much better, lol)
  7. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

i definitely want to know the price of the bobcat that u mentioned.
  8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you should shop at your local dealers,... when something breakds, since you bought it from them, you will be first in line for repairs...:)

but your on the right track.. your not looking at the homeowners models anymore...clapping
  9. lance1

lance1 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

The mower you're looking at is better than the BobCat classic IMO. Reasons are the Bobcat has a single narrow belt that will slip in wet conditions. Plus you have more power when the going gets tough. The deck is also heaver 7 gauge as opposed to 10 so it can take a beating on the trailer. Go for it then save for a ZTR and good luck in your new venture!
  10. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Zim, you have to know what the shipping will be before you can compare prices of 48's at a local dealer. A brand name may be barely more or even cheaper when the real cost is compared.