mower in the shop

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

When you all have a mower in the shop....and your dealer does not give loaner mowers..Do you think it would be reasonable/feasable to call say 2 or three different dealers and set up full day demo's to cover the time when my mower would be in the shop?

Like say i drop off my mower to get serviced...pick up a demo from them...take that back at the end of the day, next day pick up another demo from another dealer and use that one all day?'

Think it might work? I actually am interested in these demos though so it isnt all for nothing for the dealers

Trevor

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

It would be fesable to look for another dealer. Why would you deal with one that does not have loaners for LCO's?

But to answer the question I think it would be wrong to take advantage of another dealer just to make up for the others shortcomings.

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I have always wondered if anyone ever did that. I thought about it once but never tried it.

4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

that is why i am hesitent to actually do this....HOWEVER..I did state that i am actually interested in the demo. The scag dealer here in town was the dealer i was going to buy from initially. Then i saw this mower at my current dealer and bought it without knowing ANYTHING. The price was very tempting and i bit! I purchased before i was graced with LS.com and didnt know how important dealer support was, nor did i know about loaner mowers or anything. I am very tempted to sell my current machine and buy through the local scag dealer.

So...I actually am demoing their machine but am just timing it right?

trevor

5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Trevor, be honest with yourself. You would not have started this thread if you did not have a twinge of guilt about this situation. You know as well as I that you are going to take advantage of some other dealer due to the fact that your dealer wont provide you with a loaner. These are the facts, aren't they?

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I could not see myself doing it my dealer always has a loaner and has been offered to me this year when my new mower was down I said thanks but no thanks.

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly my point. If you were interested in just the demo then why post the question? If you like the mower are you gonna get it right away? Or are you just using it to get out of a tight.

8. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Or, buy Exmark and look into other manufacturers that have a "no down time" program for commercial users. Exmark knows who the bread is, and where to spread the butter.

9. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I have been thinking about the same topic lately. In my area, there are so many one and two man LCO's that if one of their front line machines should go down, they are screwed.

I have actually considered the feasabliity of starting a commercial mower rental business. NOBODY around here rents them out and very few of the dealers in the area give loaners for more than a day or two. The more that I think about it, and the more LCO's in my area that I discuss it with, the more I like the idea.

What do you think? I may even start a new thread with this as a topic.

B

10. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Didnt you post something recently that said you cut 10 hours a week? The mower is going to take longer than 6 days to be fixed. Doing a demo is jerking the guy around and if thats how you are do it.