mower is leaving a strand of grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blaster822, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Blaster822

Blaster822 LawnSite Member

I have a problem with my lawn mower it is cutting weird

It is leaving a strand of grass in between the blades but they are the same size 42in deck and i have a 42in blades so why does it leave a strand of grass if i go really slow it cuts fine.:confused:
  2. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

How sharp are your blades? Are the blades new? My first instinct tells me that the blades are dull and they have low lift sails. Going slow allows more time for the blades of grass too stand up and be cut as the mower travels forward.. Another thought, when was the last time you cleaned the underside of the deck? If the underside of the deck is built up with clippings you will get the same result, the loss of space above the blades results in less vacuum and less air volume out the chute.
    Hope that helps.
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Cleaning the underside of the deck and using blades that are still their original length (and sharp) should take care of the problem.

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Im having the same problem with my Dixie chopper:angry:
    The blades are razor sharp, the pitch it right and the deck is clean and its still leaving a strip of uncut grass between the middle and right blade. Always something with this machine!:rolleyes:
  5. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Is your mower turned on?
  6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

If you have a 42" deck then your blades should be wider if you have a 3 blade set. That way the blades overlap which takes the little strip out. Make sure you are running the right size blades for your mower.
  7. grasskeeper

grasskeeper LawnSite Member

1) Check the drive tire pressure and tire circumference.

2) Check blade spacers.

3) Check caster mounting brackets to be sure all bolts are tight.

4) Ceck blades tip to tip for straightness.

5) Try new blades.

6) Check blade drive belt. Perhaps it is slipping and is not spinning the blades fast enough. Maybe thats why it cuts better when you slow down.

Just a couple of things to check, otherwise I don't know. Good Luck.
  8. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Check all your belts if one comes off it will leave a stripe of grass.
  9. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

what kind of blades do you have on there I had the gators on and they did that in wet grass. If you oil the pto change blades and clean deck it should do it.
  10. smalltime

smalltime LawnSite Member

Does it leave the strip while mowing in a straight line? Or does it only do it while taking a corner or mowing a curve? Get where I am going with this? Somebody has explained the physics of a mower leaving a strip while mowing in an arc or while taking a corner.