mower is squeking what could it be???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southtx, Nov 21, 2005.

1. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

well this is whats going on.. I got a toro 21 mower with a kawi on it and the other day I took the outer cover off of it to clean under it. Well when I put it back and stared it...well it stared to make a squeking sound. I checked to oil just to make sure and it need just a small amount and its still making it. The mower starts fine but then it start to make that sound its not loud but it was never there before. Did i put to much a$$ on the bolts or what ?;) Let me know what yall think and by the way the mower is not new it has some age.

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

does the noise go up and down in volume or pitch when you change the engine speed?

3. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

I think so is that good or bad??

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

well, I would say look at your recoild starte, and around there, my kohler made the exact squeeking noise when I sinched down the recoild starter too much. the plastic was rubbing, thus the squeeking. what I would dok, is loosen up a bit on the bolts, and see if it goes away. if not, it might be in the engine, but it is not very likely, as it happened after you took the covers off. I would especially check are the recoil, as the intensity is building with a higher throttle.

5. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

Ill try that.. hope it works I just cant belive that I did sometyhing that wrong just by taking off the cover, thanks sir

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like the recoil as TCLL stated. You can try putting oil one the bearings if you can easily access them. Eventually, if left unoiled, this will destroy your recoil.