1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower Killing Batteries!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MikeTA95, Jun 28, 2012.

1. MikeTA95

MikeTA95 LawnSite Member

Getting frustrated with this one,

I was given a Toro sit down by a guy going out of buisness, he said I could have it because it was a "piece of crap." Turns out, it just needed maintenance (spark plugs, oil change, filters changed, grease, new blades). Mower was working great for a few weeks, then the battery died on a hot day (95 degrees). Replaced it with a new one, that one was fine until we had another hot day. Took it to a mechanic, he said he couldn't find anything wrong with the electrical system. Bought a new battery, was working great until today when we had another ninety something degree day, battery died again.

I want to try and see if anyone has any suggestions, I have no knowledge about electrical systems, and my mechanic is no help.
  2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

safty switch on seat unhook or by pass if so it will run it down
  3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Mike...need the model of the mower and the engine...
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

That doesn't have anything to do with killing the battery!

Since the OP's knowledge of 12v is limited, I would say hunt ya down a good mechanic in your area. Try lookin on Craigslist. You don't need to take it to a dealer.
    But I digress........

Sounds like a charging problem to me, either the alternator or regulator went out to lunch, or there's a problem in the charging circuit wiring.
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

When mower is running, put a meter on the battery terminals. It should read more than 12 volts. Guessing 13-15 volts.
  6. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, that's pretty much what it needs to be. YOU know that, and I know that, but the OP probably doesn't know anything about meters etc. His best bet would be to find a good wrench.
  7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Just out of curiosity what battery are you putting in it? What are the specs of the battery?
  8. MikeTA95

MikeTA95 LawnSite Member

Will this really kill the battery? I do have a bypass on the seat.
  9. MikeTA95

MikeTA95 LawnSite Member

Not sure of the specs of the battery, but it is a New Holland brand I believe, got it from the local tractor supply store. It is under warranty luckily
  10. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Help us out ....Mike...
    Just exactly what kind of mower and engine combo are we supposed to be troubleshooting??????