1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower killing when running at idle. Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Teff's Lawn & Snow, May 22, 2004.

1. Teff's Lawn & Snow

Teff's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

A friend brought me a mower that runs fine at full throttle & when the blades are running, but when he turns the blades off and starts to idle it down the mower kills right away. He did a basic tune up on it already with no improvement. Any helpful hints would be great.
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

What is the RPMs at idle? Get a tach and see how low it goes before it stalls out. It may just be idled too low. What type mower and engine are we talking about here.
  3. Teff's Lawn & Snow

It's a friends Craftsman mower 16hp Kohler. Just trying to save him from taking it in to the shop. We did play with the idle with no positive effect.
  4. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You need a carb rebuild. Its either flooding or staving. most likely the needle is worn and when at idle it gets flooded out. I guess you did check the choke.

Thats my guess.
  5. leogod

leogod LawnSite Member
    from chicago

It is starving. Take the carb apart and clean it with a pipe cleaner and carb cleaner. If that does not work maybe rebuild it.
  6. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I'd run some carb cleaner through it and make sure the air breather/filter is clean. A great product called Berryman B-12 is good to put in the gas tank to help clean out the fuel lines and carb, can also be sprayed directly into the carb.
  7. AirCooled

AirCooled LawnSite Member

If the tractor is stored for any length of time without using any type of fuel stabilizer, I would guess its running lean. The idle passages are very small and will be the first to plug with old fuel deposits. A real simple check would be to feather the choke slightly to see if it will idle for you. You may have to do this manually because most lawn tractors use a single cable where "choke" is only found after going from Turtle to Rabbit on the speed control.
  8. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

gotta love on line troubleshooting! Its great.. makes for good reading tho! LOL!
  9. Teff's Lawn & Snow

Thanks for all the tips guys.
  10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Could be many things , but sounds like craap in the idle circuit of the carb. Disasemble spray circuits with carb cleaner, follow with compressed air.