mower leaving 1 or 2 grass uncut

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bohiaa, Jun 22, 2007.

1. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

hay guys

I bought a 21" POS mower just to do a few lawns,

now I'm finding that it cuts ok, but it leaves a few blades of grass uncut,

in 1 stripe of cutting it may leave 15 or 20

all over the lawn,,,,

I checked balde its sharp but it's flemsey..... meaning it's easly flexable.

any idelas to make it cut ALL blades of grass

2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Try another blade -- a new one.

3. kevinlane

kevinlane LawnSite Senior Member

My 33" wb does the same thing. Is there a really good brand of blades? I think I'll try new blades to see if that is the problem. It only does it in 3rd gear.

4. Nosmo

bohiaa: A new blade for your 21" POS mower might just get rid of all them stringers. I'll bet a longer blade would reach out and get um good. Try to get a 24" blade .

Long un's might not be fluxiable (bend easy) like them types of one you got now.

Oh if you do get a good stiff long one don't worry bout all that noise under the deck it'll get not so noisy after that new blade wears itself in. That means a long blade takes just a smidgin of a while after the clanging begins to get
    a lot quieter.

Good Luck:p

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

My new lawn boy 6.5 Tecumseh POS did the same thing ( how I long for the old 2 strokers). The problem seems to be the low blade tip speed they idiot proof mowers with today. You might be able to get a few RPM's out of her by adjusting linkage. Back in the day you could actually put doubles on a 21 and not lose so much power. I modified a good blade by grinding an edge almost to the center. Works well on St. Augustine.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

ericg likes this.
  6. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I understand that all mowers will leave stringers depending on speed of the mower and thickness of grass.

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of mower? Bagging or mulching? Did you buy a cheapie? :rolleyes:

8. Nosmo

bohiaa just bought the POS 21" mower (Piece of Schitt).

Nosmo ;)

9. Nosmo

bohiaa: you might try getting another POS 21" and double cut at the same time.

How can you double cut at the same time with two mowers ??? Go to Walmart or Kmart and get a heavy belt for your pants. Tie a medium sized nylon rope to the belt so you will be able to hook the handles of the second mower. Start the mowers (be sure to wire the levers down) so they will run after you get them started.

Push one and pull the other. If you try this method let us know how this works out for you.

PS: be careful when you stop quickly or step backwards.

Nosmo :clapping:

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

its a troy built, bagging does it and mulching does it and so does side discharge.

I checked the blade it's very sharp, Kind of thin for my likeings,

its a 6.5 hp, one of those that ya just prine it, then start it, no throttle controll.

with the self propelled it really doent go very fast,