mower leaving a funny stripe

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ELC/IA, Jun 8, 2001.

1. ELC/IA

ELC/IA LawnSite Member

I run a John Deere 235 with a 54" on large open lots. I am having trouble leave a wierd stripe on the discharge side. It appears to match the tire width and track. It is cutting the grass even but the tire stripe is a darker color than the rest of the cut. I have spent hours making sure the deck is level all around. Was just wondering if this is a fixable problem or just what is going on with the mower. Thanks for any help

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The right caster wheel on the Deeres has a tendency to lay the grass down more for some reason, leaving a darker stripe. My Deere walk behinds always did this, and I always had a HECK of a time with it not cutting that grass fully because that side was laid down. High lifts help this to an extent, but it's still always there. What kind of blades are you running? Are they high, or just medium lift?

3. ELC/IA

ELC/IA LawnSite Member

i took the mower to my dads shop last nite and apparently my shop floor is not level as the deck was running higher on the right side when i checked it as his shop. I think i have it dailed in now but i can see the problem with the caster wheel you were talking about. Thanks for the help!

4. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

My JD 48" walkbehind does the same thing what did you do to fix it

5. ELC/IA

ELC/IA LawnSite Member

Took several hours of tinkering but after i got the deck set like the manual says it works great now doing a excellent job. the side that was leaving the stripe was running higher than the other side. Hope this helps.