Lawn Care Forum banner

mower leaving uncut strip

4K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Flipperneck 
#1 ·
i know i asked this before, but there are new people now, see if anyone has any ideas. my 36 bobcat, always cut great. this one customer was always asking me to lower the cut, i said no, i aint takin the blades off and lowering them. so, i tried this, i just lowered the front end by pulling the wheels off and moving the spacers. now, this was my first stop of the day. on this morning, i also put doubles on this machine for the first time ever. i did the cut, and it left an uncut strip, on the side. i just double cut, most of my lawns are small anyhow. after a while, i just left the 36 in the garage, and always used the 48. when i decided to use the 36 again, i put new high lifts on, and tried to remember where the wheel spacers originally were, i couldn't remember. so i leveled the deck, and started over. no good, same strip. no time to mess with it, i brought it to the shop, they went over it, said all was fine. still leaving strip. i tried going to extremes putting the deck all the way up, all the way down, it got better, but still a little strip. any ideas?

#4 ·
i thought that also, so i went back and put the same blades on i was using before the trouble started. no good. two factors, deck pitch problem, or i screwed up the machine by putting on doubles. but, the mechanic, after looking at it twice, said it was perfectly sound mechanically. i tried every level on the deck pitch, it got better, but it still aint right.

#8 ·
ok, while my hands are on the pistols, it's my left side that is uncut. the strip is like an inch or less wide. i would almost swear it's from the front wheel pushing down the grass, but the machine cut perfect prior to me messing with it.

#13 ·
I know you had it looked at by a mechanic, but are the spindle bearings tight?? This may sound stupid, but if its on the left side & not between the blades, what if you just overlap a little more when turning 180 deg to the left, maybe by increasing the overlap on this side will help correct the problem. If not, I'll introduce you to my Bobcat dealer & I'm sure he can hook you up to.

#14 ·
turfdude, it's not in the middle, but it's not on the very end. if i overlapped to correct the problem, i would have to go so far, my 36" cut would turn into about a 26 inch cut. where is this bobcat dealer?

#15 ·
The one I'm using is in Blackwood, Laurel Mowers, but there is also South Jersey Mower in Maple Shade, Lowthers power Equipment in Beverly and Cherry Valley Tractor in Marlton (I think not too far from Olga's diner at 70 & 73)

#19 ·
The correct pitch of your deck should be betweem 1/8" and 1/4" No way should it be up to 3/8", especially for a 36" deck. On level cement, line your left blade up straight forward to back. Try to set your other two straight across for right now for access purposes. Take a small tape measure, or a piece of a ruler, if you have it, and reach under and measure the front tip of the blade, and the rear tip of the blade. The difference should be beween 1/8 and 1/4". Now, line the second blade up front to back, and do the same thing. Then the third. The reason you are doing the others, is to make sure that none of the blade spindles have slipped from the lockring, and dropped. This difference, while not always being immediately noticeable on the cut of the grass, will open up the gap between the blades - sometimes just enough that it could cause this void.
As far as the idea of the caster wheel pushing the turf down, so it doesn't lift, this is possible that it could be atLEAST a contributing factor. My 52" JD wb did that, but on the discharge side, where the right caster tracked. I resorted to highlifts, and it helped. Also, make sure that you don't possibly have a bent spindle. The blade leveling check should help clarify that. Also, (not to sound like a broken record), try some different blades, merely for the possible difference in lengths. I hope this helps, and hope you get to the bottom of it.

#20 ·
Sharp blades, correct pitch, full engine rpm, proper speed, grass height, deck clogged, proper blades, proper tire inflation, proper belt tension, spindle going bad. Of course don't forget to hold your bottom lip just right!

#21 ·
so runner, you don't level the deck, and get the 1/8" pitch by adjusting the deck? the blades are 18". i will see a 1/8 difference from the front of the blade, to the back? now, if i don't see a 1/8" difference on the blade, should i adjust the front wheel spacers, until i have the 1/8" difference on the blade? turfdude, what exit are u on the parkway? i aint never heard of olga's, or any of the other stuff u mentioned

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.