mower life

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmasterswilson, May 3, 2011.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

How many hours do you put on your zero turns and walkers before you trade them in? Trying to get my per hour cost figured out and I'm thinking about 5 years or 1000-1500 hours on each before you would rather trade in for a new one to keep repair down time down.

Help me out.

2. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Most go out to 2k in hours, I expect mine to last a long time as it is not a crew machine and beat on. Im accounting for 2k with mine though to answer you question. This is based on a commercial mower, a homeowner would be a fraction of that.

3. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I'm trading in a 2009 with 800 hours this week, because the warranty is up in a couple of weeks. There are many different ways to look at things, but, for me, keeping them covered under warranty makes sense because I am not a mechanic and have no desire to do anything much more involved than changing the oil or air filter.

The depreciation on this machine will run me about $6.50 per hour. Sure, keeping a machine longer term will probably decrease the depreciation per hour, but one also has to consider that the more hours of service, the greater the probability of a breakdown, and major component failure, which translates to major expenses.

4. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

my lazer with the most hours had a new (gas) engine and pumps put in at ~2200 hrs, we are closing in on another 1000 hrs on the rebuild. I wont retire this crew used machine until it has at least 4000 total hours - and then at that point it will be backup sitting in the barn.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm planning on running my Dixie on out to at least 4,000 hours. Except for a throttle cable, a muffler ,a low oil horn and belts, blades, filters and oil, it's been trouble free to almost 1,400 hours now.