Mower lights

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Jan 22, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Is there any way to put a light on my exmark metro? I could really use it when it starts to get dark? How could i do this? Are there different options i have as to how i could accomplish this? THANKS
  2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

That's a really good question. Wondered the same thing myself, and hope there's somebody on this site who can shed some light on your question. So I'll give this thread a little bump to keep it alive.
    I've put lights on my Scag TT, but the TT has a battery which makes it an easy installation, but not sure about a w/b without an electric ignition.
  3. 1056Dave

1056Dave LawnSite Member

Just my opinion but if you need lights it's time to go to the house.
  4. work_it

Not much help there Dave. There's been many times I've been trying to finish up a leaf removal and it's got dark with about 20 min. of work left. I'm not going to leave the job until it's done. Doesn't make much sense to leave just to come back and finish the next day. The extra time spent driving, unloading, loading, gas, etc... eats up the profits.

Now, hopefully somebody can post some useful advice.
  5. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

Removed post. No need to say "sorry Sean,", just follow the guidelines.
    Thank you,
  6. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Check with your dealer/repair shop as to how many amps you can generate, then get a fused, driving or utility light kit (from an auto parts store or Wally land) with a current draw that won't exceed your output. Do the usual "SEARCH" here as to how to mount, brackets and where to put the switch. A lot of us have the problem of early darkness in the fall.

Good Luck.......Jim
  7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks, Captain!!!
  8. elamey

elamey LawnSite Member

I asked this question once (and got the requisite grief for trying to mow after dark, personally I don't see what the problem is if i'm not waking anyone up.)

Anyhoo...the only legit advice was that if you are mowing after dark the lights need to be as close to the ground as you can get them. Otherwise you have a hard time seeing where you have mown. I guess you can't see that with overhead lights (like on top of a roll bar etc..)
  9. work_it

As I previously mentioned, I installed lights on my Scag TT some time ago. Here's a link to some of the pics I posted. Keep in mind that the Exmark w/b doesn't have a electric starter, but there is ways around that. One way would to be install a small battery mount and battery on the mower and run the lights directly off of it. With this way you would have to hook the battery up to a recharger each night after using it. The other way I've found is much more involved and more expensive.
  10. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Work it, Have you actually mowed in the dark with those lights? Does it work? I mean can you really see enough to mow? I have often had 1 last yard to get as the sun is setting and thought, "man if I had headlights on my Toro I wouldn't need to come back tomorrow for this 1 lawn."