mower lights?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Nov 1, 2004.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Since its Dark earlier anyone using headlights on the mowers? Sunset today was about 5:05 and I didn't stop mowing until 5:45 trying to get stuff cut b4 the rain tomorrow. Anyone know of a light kit for the super z?

2. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, we run the walker light option on ours. Not sure about yours. Have made up light brackets for other, and used fog style lights.

3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure you could rig something up together with a battery and two lights somewhat like what Frankenscagmachines did to his Scag back a while ago. I ust demoed a Walker again this weekend to se if I was gonna mke the leap and buy one and it had lights on it so I as mowing 2 hours past dark on some days.They ere very bright. I was looking into the 2005 Scag catalog and they are offering lights on their riders now. When I purchase my Wildcat in the Spring, I would like to put the lights on it.

4. stevesmowing

how do I make sure if I put lights on it won't draw current faster than it can charge? Anyone have pics of their set-ups?

5. mrgreeninc

mrgreeninc LawnSite Member

I am currently running lights on my Walker. It has the Kohler EFI and it still produces plenty of power to run my lights. All mowers should be able to run at least two headlights. Just run the wires to your battery and mount them where you want and it should work fine.

JR

6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

It should be fine, but you will know once you start killing batts once a week. ;) Try not to get the most powerful, or most power drawing lights, get some smaller ones and you shouldn't have a problem.

7. The LawnSmith

The LawnSmith LawnSite Member

You can mount just about any light kit with a toggle switch that runs from your battery. They dont eat that much power, your mower should be able to provide enough power for them as long as you keep the engine running while the lights are on. I bought a headmounted "miner" type light last week that runs on 4 AA batteries just in case I need it for trimming after sunset. I used it once, and it worked great. Here in Alabama the grass is still growing fairly well and you have to improvise to make up for the lost hour.

Mike

8. stevesmowing

do you guys leave them on all the time or just put them on for night mowings? Do you tie them into the ignition key switch or not?

9. JHLC

JHLC LawnSite Member

I just checked my Kohler repair manual. It says that the 25hp engines have a 25 amp charging system. If you keep your lights under 15 or 20 amps you should be fine.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Mine is run directly to the battery. You can get these floodlight style tractor lights at your TSC store. (or Quality Farm & Fleet). You DO want to run a fuse between the switch and the batt., though. I made the bracket myself, and many people ask me where I got it because they think it's factory. Here's a pic in my post on this thread.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=76622&page=1&highlight=light