Mower losing its juice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mathproshs, May 25, 2004.

1. mathproshs

mathproshs LawnSite Member

Ok. I just got this Cub Cadet commercial 1548 and all of a sudden going uphill it just does not want to go. It's a belt drive and I can see that the transmission has totally stopped turning.

Also on the hour meter it keeps flashing "LUBE". Are the peerless transmissions in need of a fluid check. I called my dealer and he said that they are self contained.

Furthermore, on the straightaway, this thing moves like a beast, its just on slight inclines that this happens. The same lawn a month ago it was tackling without a grunt, but now I am doing the grunting pushing it up the hill.

Does the tranny need to be regreased or should I be checking something else???

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

its because its a belt. I own cubs so I know what you are going through. Just tighten up the belt for the drive right underneath the body. There should be a pulley that you can adjust

everything else is fine. And also, don't go by that hour meter. Use your own maintenance schedule. Lube basically means grease. And trust me on this, you will be greasing that plenty of times before it tells you the correct time.

3. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Tide man should have been more specific I feel.

What he means is that the belt which runs under the frame and seating area from the motor output to the transmission needs tightening. There would be an idler pulley that would need to be loosened and then shifted over until correct belt tension is achieved and then held while the idler is re tightened.

Check belt tension at the longest belt run between pulleys. Tight as a guitar string is too tight. tighter than it was and less than stranglehold maybe a half inch deflection would be good.

That help?

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

ya maybe I should have. I just know that I did it so many times that I ended up striping the bolt on that pulley. That reason along was why I went over to hydros

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

My 25 Kohler had a coil go bad and did about the same thing. Several weeks later the other one went. Not sure about the 15, it does sound like the belt hough.