1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mower losing power

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by timmac, Sep 12, 2007.

1. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 05 super z 27 horse 60 inch. I put some high lift blades on it and when I mow the mower is bogging down. and losing a lot of power. How do you raise the rpm's on the mower. with a 27 horse it shouldn't be bogging down at all should it?
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

RPM adjustment is done with a cable adjustment and possible governor adjustment.
    If this is something you have never done before I would let a dealer do it.
    If you don't have means of reading the RPM's you could go to high and cause engine damage or pre mature engine failure.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Depends on which " high" lift blades you got. The 27 HP is not enough for the 1.5" high lift .
  4. timmac

i got the scag hi lifts.
  5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Measure the higth of the sail. If its 1.5" high, it will put extra load on your 27HP. I have seen this blade advertized as high lift by some companys and " super high lift" by others.
  6. timmac

I just know it is the scag high lift blade from j thomas. it mows awesome but too much bog.
  7. markindetroit

markindetroit LawnSite Member
    from detroit

I know from your post that you are running the same blades as I am. I have the same mower. I have found that I needed to raise the deck about 1/2" higher than I normally would cut and that eliminated most of the bogging down. I think the slight bogging that occurs is minor compared to how well the blades cut. Perhaps tweaking the RPMs a bit may be helpful overall though. Let us know if you do it and how it works for you,