mower maintenance...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CelticGreens, Mar 30, 2005.

1. CelticGreens

CelticGreens LawnSite Member

i have a 36" toro WB. am trying to give it a spring cleaning before the season starts. i emptied the oil and tossed the filter. im gonna pick them up tomorrow. i also took apart as much as possible to clean of any old dust. once thats all done, ill put the new blades on and clean the under carraige. is there anything specific that i should be maintaining besides the oil and filter? im new to mowers and not knowledgable on maintenance. help me out anyone.

2. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

1. dont forget to grease any zerk fittings
    2. check air pressure
    3. check air filter clean or replace
    4. check belts

3. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure what year you have. But change the fuel filter, Check all belts, If belt drive check those, take cover off and check blade belt,transmission belt. Put new air filter in.Grease fittings if you already have not done it. Change your winter air to spring/summer air. Just kidding. Just check your tire pressure from sitting all winter. I am sure you will get more information but I think this covers it.

4. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

be sure to also lubricate all levers and cables too, blow out cooling fins on engine too.

5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Ditto! Keep em greased and theyll run longer.

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

while your at it a spark plug wouldnt hurt. And maybe check the bushings in the front forks.

7. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

I would also take the belts off and inspect them good. A little cut will cause downtime. When they are off, check your idler pullies.

8. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

make sure you have extra parts with you at all times.
    air filter
    belts
    plugs
    maybe spare wheels

9. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't forget to pressure wash the whole unit at your local carwash. You want to be sure to clean off all the old grease where ever you see it. Pay specila attention to the top of the mower deck. [often overlooked area] Be sure to clean it as through as possible, use as many quarters as needed to get a pristine look. It is important for us to maintain a certain image.

If you have a sulky, you can look into installing chrome spinners to sort of "pimp your ride" remember image is everything.

hope this helps,
    kenny.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Your operator's manual gives you a complete checklist on what to do, and when.

You mentioned "new blades." Don't you sharpen the ones you have, or do you keep mounting new blades when the old ones loose their edge? And, even new blades need sharpening before you mount them the first time.