Mower Maintenance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Z lawn care, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Z lawn care

Z lawn care LawnSite Member

Any good ideas -- I was curious as to what you all use to clean your mowers. ( to get them shinny like new) and do you all know of a tool out there, that puts the perfect angle on the blade? If so where do you get these things?

2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i use magna-matic to sharpen my blades as to cleaning them i use regular car wax etc just make sure u cover the intake and exhaust

3. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Perfect angle on the blade? You might want to try a dedicated blade grinder (Magna Matic, RBG, Fireball, ect.)

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

There isn't such thing as keeping a mower looking new.... unless you don't use it. We wash ours off every couple of days but there is no use trying to keep the dust off of them or keeping them as pretty as you should keep your truck. As far as a tool to sharpen the blades... we just use a bench grinder but there are special tools and equipment for that use... do a search. BTW, welcome to Lawnsite.

5. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Welcome to the site...I quit trying to keep mine clean because it gets dirty again so quickly. Its a lost cause...

6. husqvarna600c

husqvarna600c LawnSite Member

i like orange clean it won't take the paint off and its safe for your hands.

7. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

I just wash them off just before i service them, and lube them. Once a week and i just use a sponge and car wash soap with water. I only wax around the decals and the belt covers and such.

-Rich

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have bigger worries than cleaning my mowers. I cleaned one once before i traded it in.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I armor all my equipment to keep it looking nice

10. Z lawn care

Z lawn care LawnSite Member

thanks to those that have replied....sorry to put that one particular smart ass out... no sense in writing in when you dont have a recomendation huh scott