Mower Maintenence Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dcook, Oct 6, 2006.

1. dcook

dcook LawnSite Member

I'm new to the business, and I thought you guys could give me some input.
    I plan to sharpen blades and clean the deck as often as possible. What is the easiest way to get under a large mid mount ZTR? Thanks for any help you can give me.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Junglejack. That's one word that sums it up...plain and simple. Don't even screw around with it...Just get one and you'll always have it.
  3. jake65

jake65 LawnSite Member

when I didn't have a jack, I found a small incline and parked my front tires on the incline giving me plenty of room to change blades and scrape the deck
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Trailer ramp for me. I can reach all 3 blade bolts from one side.
  5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Full size floor jack. Jack all the way up, then put a jack stand at each corner of deck. You now have full under view of deck. I do that to mine once a week, usually end up takin a short nap...............................Oh sorry dozed off there. But anyways thats how I do it.
  6. jcb287

jcb287 LawnSite Member

Trailer ramp for me also out the job.TLS you can reach all three? I usally have to move to the other side to get the last one:)

MANICURED LAWNS LawnSite Member

Car ramps if you got em or u could run over a pile of rocks that should get rid of most of the debris it before u sharpen the blades though.
  8. ChadsLawn

DO WHAT?!!! I hope you were kidding. Or do you like high insurance rates?
    Car ramps dont work either. At least on mine they didnt. The deck will hit before you get all the way on.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Here is how I do it.....

Drivers side of trailer.

Approach trailer perpendicular to gate. Aim center of mower at the point where the gate touches the ground.

When you get close start turning toward your truck and catch your trimside caster on the edge of your ramp. Drive up slowly allowing the caster tire to stay on the edge of the gate.

Go all the way up and set parking brake.

Chock wheels if your not confident with your parking brake.

You will not be straight and parallel with your trailer gate, you wil be offset at an angle allowing you to reach your trim side blade bolt with your impact gun.

Here is a picture....

10. ChadsLawn

/\ /\ /\ Man you have alot of 2x4's on the trailer /\ /\ /\

I have 1, but will be adding a couple more.