Mower Manufacturers look here

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ncls, Dec 29, 2007.

1. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

With the rising cost of labor, and the ability to find and retain good help, here is what I envision. I currently own 2 Bad Boy 60" riders, a 50" rider. Also have a Bobcat 52" rider, and a 61" Scag rider.

I want to own 6 riders. And a few walk behinds. I want to be able to tandem the riders on very large jobs. (Ball fields, parks, etc.) What I envision is to be able to drive up to one rider, and somehow couple it to another rider, or two. The one rider would control them all. I would increase my productivity, without increasing my labor.

Auto manufacturers are making the steering, gas, and brake pedals, not direct controlled, mower manufacturers should be able to follow suit.

A company is out there now, trying to make mowers that are robotic, run on lasers. They charge you for the mower, then charge you an hourly fee for the amount of time the mower cuts grass. They understand the problem of quality help, and are trying to make the mowing robotic, while making the trimming, edging, and blowing the human emphasis. I think coupling two or three mowers that can be independently run, or coupled to allow for greater productivity, the better way to go into the future.

Thoughts, anyone????

2. ncls

Bump Any thoughts on this? or am I crazy??

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

after seeing a lazer guided unit run rampant at GIE in orlando several years ago. and run through two exhibitor booths I think they got a long way to go.

how do you propose they control the two or three other machines? radio? IR, Lazer? what happens if one machine loses the signal and continues on heading towards that 250,000 lambo parked in the driveway. how are you going to stop it? Un attended mowers are not a good idea...

You want to be more productive, buy a bigger mower...or hire more people....I know it sounds narrow minded, but I just don't see it happening soon.

4. ncls

I want them to be operator controlled. one operator controls all the units hooked together. If two or three units are hooked together, productivity goes way up.

5. MarcSmith

how are they going to be hooked together? wireless, wires, radio, Ect....I know what you are saying, but we know we cannot control if they are connect by wires...too easy to damage the wires.... and have a runaway mower... so we are stuck with wireless. the cheapest RC unit runs around 2-300 bucks for a nice 6 channel reciever and transmitter. so add 200 bucks to the mower...just for my RC sailboat to conrol the sails the servo is around 50 bucks...it has about enough force to swist off the lif on a new pickle jar. so you'd need two servos for the sticks, one servo for the throttle, one servo for the choke, and one servo for th electric clutch., so thats another 300 bucks. and thats just to control it like an RC car. now you need to link that machine to the machine you re driving which now involves computers...., more servos on the machine you are driving to monitor your speed, and how how far you are pushing the sticks, ect. heck the cheapest dell is another 500 bucks... so you've got at least a grand and a half tied up in electronics. lets say you have two 52" scags that y you want linked. 7 grand for each machine. plus electronic, puts you in the 16K range...

and we havent;' een address the "operator precence control" how do we stop a machine that decides to "leave the farm", are you ready to pay your dealer 70-80 bucks an hour to work on the electronics when they go bad?

Its not as easy as it may seem., then what happnes when you get in a neighborhood when jonny down the street start running his tyco airhog around your machine starts running into to trees and stuff since its getting conflicting signals.

6. ncls

7. MarcSmith

i'll look through my picture CD's I took a pic, thats the one that went amuck...or one real similar. but they had the sparkly reflectors set up and everything....almost hit a guy test driving a permagreen in the lesco booth next door. I would venture to say that GPS only would be better...

Are your client ready to have reflector thingies on their property, how much are the reflector things, and what happens when the punk neighbor kids takes one... and you don't notice it....

Here is the big ???? since now you don't have to ride a mower, Are your clients are going to want a cheaper rate...The whole "I'm working smarter, not harder" will only go so far...

I'm not bashing you or SGS or tryingto squash your idea....Just giving some thoughts.....Farmers have turned their tractors over to GPS, but they still ride the machine...

8. ncls

Mark, I'll try to explain myself better, so you can understand what I am typing. I want to be able to connect two or three of the same mower, and have one person physically on one of the machines operating all of them, get it?

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Why not just buy you one of these? http://www.toro.com/golf/mower/rough/gm580/580.html

10. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member