Mower Mounted String Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ScottH, Jun 5, 2002.

1. ScottH

ScottH LawnSite Member

Got some info in the mail yesterday on an electric string trimmer that mounts to any mower that has a 12 v charging system. Controls are operated from the seat. Looks interesting and we are considering becoming a dealer. Specifically, it is a 4m Trimmer unit.

Would appreciate any feedback from anyone that's seen and hopefully used this unit or a similar one.

2. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

It's just a gimmic. You can't squeeze any mower deck into the corner of a building and you can't mow or trim properly and efficiently when you are trying to both at the same time. I might consider dealing them for the homeowner market, but for commercial use, forget about it.

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Just like the Flex-deck gimmick thing, just think about it and use your head. If you mowing at 5/7 mph, you can't possibly trim too. Or, if you slow down to trim, your are losing time that should be for mowing.
    Furthermore, if you are trimming like you should be, it takes care not to cut flowers, hits trees trunks and get "ALL" blades of grass, not to mention edging.
    However, they are "other states" that don't bother trimming, or trim that way it's needed and demanded. As far as I'm concerned, trimming "for trimming's sake" must be done with a dedicated unit, and a good trimmer operator can trim faster and better than something stuck on a mower.
    Pete

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Not nice picking on a sponsor. There have been great reviews on this product. You are comparing apples and oranges on this one. Have you ever tried the Flex-Deck? Probably not...so read the guidelines for posting again.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This reminds me of these "DR" things, or the other brands that are the string trimmers on wheels. Give me a break. With those things, how are you going to contour? Or feather? What do you have to do, "mow" around a rock? Just a gimmick,- and does sell to the homeowner market. Another dust collector to be sold at a rummage sale 5 years down the road. As far as the Flex-Deck, I've heard too many good things about this product, and see where it's applications would be greatly useful. It also seems to be built rather well. :)

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

So, FWIW, or IOW, I'm not allowed to voice a constructive opinion??? OTOH, just how many reviewers of the flexdeck were "in someway" associated with the product? From the reviews I read, most of the people were on a first name basis with each other.

Pete

7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Not if you haven't actually used it.

FWIW the Flex-Deck is a novel idea. Turning your 52" deck into a 60+" deck can save you much time and maaake you more efficient. As for the trimmer...I'll agree with your opinion.

8. Neither one of these will eliminate trimming as a whole.

Flex-Deck should not be compaired to an electric motor mounted to the deck with trimmer line.

If this trimmer thing was used for what it was designed for it should work.
    So slowing down to trim a tree or whatever while you are mowing is going to kill your time?

What about walking back over to said object without the mower a second or third time.

All these add-on have their place.

Don't worry dude, these are not for you then. After using the Flex-Deck I may have to try one of these also.

As far as first name basis, this is an interactive forum:rolleyes: So we should call you Switchless and not your first name when you sign your posts Pete?

I don't know which one to try first, the Peco or the 4M.

9. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I can see where the trimmer would be beneficial doing commercial or industrial sites. I think it would be a good time-saver when you have a huge building to trim around. I have reviewed information from the 4M one mentioned and the one by peco. I emailed 4M to request information and was told what all I would receive, including a video. The video was poor quality and the information did not include price list. I felt like between numerous emails that I was pulling teeth just trying to get a price. When I did get the price I realized why they were being this way, overpriced!! I think if I were to get one that I would go with the Peco. I called Peco to get literature and the man I talked to was very informative and not in a hurry to get off the phone with me. All the literature from Peco was nice looking and there was no question about what the price was, also about half the price of 4m.

10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Mower mounted string trimmers have been touted intermittently for a dozen years or so. One Louisville Expo years ago I saw 3 or 4 different ones. Every few years they have to try to hawk them again. Just another fluke idea that never dies; but maybe someday someone will make a go of the concept.

But before you waste your time buying, installing and trying one, first try trimming your properties with your string trimmer held in a fixed position. If you can actually do 90% of your daily trimming with the machine held in this fixed position, then maybe you'll want to try one. Or try 2, how do you trim on other side of deck, or do you waste time turning around? LOL!