Mower needs more RPM's

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Bunton Guy, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a late model Great Dane Super Surfer with a 23HP kawasaki that came on this mower from the factory. It has 1300 hours and is in need of some more RPM's while the blades are turning. It sounds to have the right rpm's while running without the blades but once you flip the pto on the RPM's drop.

Is there something I can adjust to raise the rpm's when the blades are on?

I wish I could provide a model # but the tag has been beaten to death and there is no digits to be read. It also idles a little rough which im hoping a new fuel filter, plugs & air filter might help.

thank in advance

2. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

have you hooked up a tach to see what the rpms actually are with blades off and then when on?

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with MOW ALONE, It would be a good idea to put a tach one it. Getting the engine running right again may solve the problem, Also check all deck spindles/idlers for any binding that could be dropping RPM under load.

4. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

Another thing to consider. What kind of blades are you feeling the RPM drop with? Are they stock, or aftermarket?

I was sent a set of Gator blades for my mower, and when I engage them, the mower has a great deal more buffetting and it feels bogged down. Probably due to the huge rakes compared to the stock mulching blades and because the blades are heavier than the stock ones. I put the stock ones back on, and it feels just fine.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes on the tach and OR a compression check, just in case it might need a new engine.
    All the maintenance is done, right?
    Oil and filter, spark plug, air filter, fuel filter?
    'k, just checking :)

6. dvblandscaping

dvblandscaping LawnSite Member

another thing you may want to check...

If the rpm drop is significant (near half speed, and there is a clear difference (not just a minimal loss of power) you may want to have the coil packs checked out.

I had a 2003 52" scag that would drop rpm speed when engaged... the added resistance caused the weak coil packs to fire oddly and it was only sutting with 1/2 to 3/4 rpm speed.