mower not cutting everything

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramster2000, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Ramster2000

Ramster2000 LawnSite Member

When I mow a lawn with my Encore Z48, the right side doesn't seem to cut all the grass. Instead it just pushes some of it over and doesn't cut the grass. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get a nice flat cut. Please help me because this is my only mower, and I need it to perform at its best, in order to satisfy customer. All responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Have you tried double blades yet? If not, go to my website by clicking the flashing gif below and click on double blades and read about them. You can also go to the Lawnsite Links page on my site and find searches on Double blades.

Try them, you will probably like them. :)

Also make sure your rpm's are up to what they should be and you keep sharp blades on it. That makes a big difference in mowing quality.

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

ok ramster, what kinda blades are you using? is the lawn wet when you cut it? do you go in the same direction everytime cause the lawn to
    grow that way? how high do you cut the lawns? are your blades sharp? what kinda grass are you mowing?

if you double cut the lawn it should cut the grass that layed down, if you go a different direction as the time before.

4. CLARKE

CLARKE LawnSite Member

Each time you mow follow in the path one week and a
    nother path the next week, then back to the first path
    the third week.. try this it should work for you.:D

5. Jay ALC

Jay ALC LawnSite Member

Ramster,
    I hope the information we FINALY found out helps you as it did for us. There are many possible problems; blade sharpness, level of both sides, adjustment of blades height inside the deck versus the deck height (you want the most space possible above the blade inside the deck), the angle of the bevel on the blades(ideally 30 degrees), the engine RPM setting (3600 on our 14HP Kaws), and finally the key to our problems was the engagement pully tightness on the deck. The belt on the deck pullys will loosen up after a while (especially when new) and needs to be adjusted to be tight so that when you start into grass the blades still rotate at full speed and don't slip. We run all Encore walkbehinds, 36" and 48", I would assume the deck is of a similar design to ours on the walkbehinds. Hope this info helps.

Jay Archer
    Owner/Operator
    Archer Lawn Care

6. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

We run 3 Walkers and last week one wasn't cutting right, leaving a small strip on the right side. We sharpen blades every day and with all the rain and chemicals, the lawns are long. We came to the conclusion that even though the blades were sharp they've been sharpened too many times and were worn out. We put new blades on and the problems been corrected. Try a new set of blades and see what happens

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

also...check the belt tension. it sounds like one of your blades could be slowing down due to improper belt tension.

GEO

8. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

My vote is for blade sharpness and belt tension gotta be one of them. If it's not one of those two then you've got "tough grass syndrome". TGS as it's known to LCO's.... comes from too much Iron in the blades of grass, If not corrected the grass will be as hard as nails. Your only solution will be to get a herd of goats. Hope that helps.........

9. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Mower decks rely on air flow to cut properly. If your decks haven't been scraped lately and you have a build-up, you'll leave strips of uncut grass. I was going to say "mohawks" but I wasn't sure of the spelling, and I know how picky some are getting regarding spelling :)

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Good, sharp blades, - scrape the underside- and try slowing down. If you are at higher cut 3" or better you should probably see a difference if you slow down a little. Good Luck.

Dont forget the doubles they really work great.