Mower not picking up

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jrodgers, Apr 21, 2013.

1. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

I have a 48 hydro Lesco with a 17 hp Kawi. My problem is it started not picking up the grass even when I go through grass that's not that high ( I know it used to) it leaves cut grass in like a light layer on the opposite side of the chute. I tried sharpening the blades, I've tried changing to hi lift blades, I tightened the belts, turned up the RPMs, tried it with no catcher, tried it with a catcher, the deck isn't bent underneath. Not really sure what it could be. Any ideas?

2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Is the bottom of the deck clean ? How high are you cutting and have you measured the blade height. Have you tried slowing down ?

3. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Clean your deck

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

This is one of those mowers with spacers on the spindles right? It sounds to me like you have your blades up too high in the deck.

5. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

I know this thread is old but I figured out after all this time that the main blade belt was bad. Even though it didnt break it had this glazing on each side of the belt where it sits in the spindle. It was slipping, not totally slipping but enough to not spin the blades a full speed. Though I'd share in case anyone else had a similar problem in the future.

6. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

Glad you figured it out. This may help someone in the future.

7. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

What brand of belt ?

8. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Just the stock Lesco belt or possibly Sunbelt.

9. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

Okay, you can switch over to Stens and save some money if you would like to. They are just as good and cheaper.