Mower on a rope

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by anythinglawns, May 8, 2002.

1. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

I go to do a bid today and the first thing I notice about the place is that it has a very steep bank about 50 yards long and 10 yards wide. On top of that the slope ends abruptly on the edge of the road. Wow, I thought there is no way I would take any mower across that other than a push mower. Even then if the grass was wet one would take a chance of sliding down the slope right into the road. So being curios, I asked the owners "How did the last guy do this?" They told me he stood at the top of the bank with a rope tied to his push mower. He would push it over the side and then reel it back in. He would mow the entire length of the bank that way. I am not going to say anything negative about it, but that is a method I really don't think I will try if I win the bid. No complaining or talk of scrubs. Just something I have never seen.

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It is very tiresome, but actually does a nice job once you get the hang of it.

I used an old orange 50ft extension cord.

Ken

3. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

I must admit, it did not look bad. I was simply surprised at the technique.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

doing that would cost twice the money.,
    for me anyway.correction ,3 times the money.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Years ago, we did a condo complex that had a creek running through the front. We nicknamed this place "the ditch". What we did with that, is we had a rope tied to the front of a snapper, one guy would be down in the ditch just guiding the mower not to tip, and the other guy would be up on the level surface pulling the mower down the length of the ditch. We worked bottom to top.

6. I don't know, if you've been too busy to take time off for fishing....
    Anyway, if you do start casting with a mower please take some pics for us.

Whatever it take to get the job done, as long as you are able to charge what its worth to you for doing it.

7. Pro-Cut Lawns

Pro-Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

When I was a kid, I watched my Grandfather mow a bank in front of his house that way many times. Always thought it was cool back then......

8. swn

swn LawnSite Member

I guess you have to do whatever it takes. Just make sure that it is profitable. I would look for another method. I assume that it is too steep and to big of an area to use a weedeater.

9. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

You mentioned that there is a road at the bottom of the hill. What happens if the rope breaks and a car or person is going by ? What happened to the previous company ? We have a hill the we do at a dam where we use a harness tied to a guardrail to make sure we dont fall far enough to go into the riprap and water below. We use heavy duty arborist rope. We use a 2cycle lawn boy for the hill. It holds pretty well, cuts pretty well, and doesnt have problems like a 4 stroke on a steep hill. Its a headache, but it only takes 1 man hour once a week and needed to get the rest of the work at the dam.

Kerry

Oh yeah, make sure your boots are tied tight.

10. garapeto

garapeto LawnSite Member