Mower on Walkbehind (tecumseh) wont stay running.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by proenterprises, Dec 14, 2005.

1. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I was given a 52"Bunton walkbehind. It has a Tecumseh XL engine on it (not sure what HP). Anyway, went down a fiddled with it today, it is store under a covering, but exposed to the cold. It was 15deg. today (very cold). I put gas in the tank, and sprayed starter fluid down the air intake. It would crank, and tun for 10 seconds, then die.

What should I do?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

How long has it been sitting? Most likely it needs a carb rebuild, did you make sure fuel shutoffs if equipped were on?

3. proenterprises

Ill check the shut offs when i go back tomorrow.

Hasnt been sitting terribly long, maybe 1 year.
    Any other advice

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with a carb. problem, But on Tecumseh carbs. I have found it cheaper and less aggravating to replace them with a new one. Most have a air check ball type valve in one of the circuits, This gets stuck in time and it's non serviceable. When one sticks the only way to make the engine run properly is replace the whole carb.
    A year is long enough to junk one of these carbs. out.

Good Luck

5. proenterprises

I have never done a task such as this before, what is the level of difficulty? What am I looking at cost wise? Any manuals which will help me with this?

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Post the model and spec. numbers off the engine and I'll see if I can post a break-down and price a rebuild kit and new carb.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

To replace a carb is pretty much a bolt on deal, level 1 on the 1-5 scale. Cost will range but I would guestimate it at ~65-80 big ones.

8. proenterprises

rob and maniac-thanks very much for your help. I will try and get model numbers tomorrow when I revisit the machine, and see what can be pulled up.

I really know nothing about the machine, but it seems like it would be salvagable.