Mower Pins Man Underwater!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Phishook, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.thetimesonline.com

Go to this site and do a surch on lawn mowers.

An 18 year old high school student lost control of his mower, fell over a seawall and was trapped for up to 10 min.

Verry upsetting to see something like this happen. Lets all prey for him and his family.

I'm not trying to say "what if" or "if only", but are seat belts safe on mowers?

2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one property with a high seawall. I mow along the wall with my w/b and then use my z to finish. I can't imagine going over the side of this wall! I hope that kid will be ok.

4. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I looked and I don't see a seat belt on the mower, but we are only looking at a pisture. Anyone who would use a mower with seatbelt but without ROPS is asking for trouble, the same way as someone with ROPS and not using a seatbelt is.

I personally don't like the handels that cross over my lap, here where I am it is very hilly, no sea walls but very hilly and I would much rather take my chances being able to get off of the mower then to try and find the place where the handels will open.

I have "jumped ship" on my great dane cause it broke loose on a steep hill, a guy wire for a power pole caught it but if I hadn't gotten off of it the guy wire would have gotten me. Nothing hurt but it could have been.

I pray for a speedy and full recovery for the kid.

Lets remember guys and gals paying attention to what we are doing is a whole bunch cheaper then paying for an accident.

Jim

5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

that happened in florida last year the guy did not survive

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Common sense is the name of the game!

7. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Thats exactly right!

I hope the few isolated incidents like this doesn't get the public or OSHA crying about how the Z's are too dangerous and need to be slowed down or changed.

If that thing had a seat belt, it was added....and thats not a good idea, without a ROPS.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i dont strap myself into a lawnmower.
    aint no way im not gonna not be able to get loose from that thing.ive even had to bail out of a little rear engine snapper one time. d-- thing seemed intent on killing me.

9. cowman66

cowman66 Banned

poor guy...but i think i would be able to undo a seatbelt if i was under water..i dont know what the situation was either though

10. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Last summer an older fellow who had been cutting yards for years got a ZTR. He had never driven one and fell into a canal the first time he used it. The people he was mowing for had been customers with him for 20+- years. Nobody in his crew knew how to swim. This is alway sad news to hear.