Mower Preference: This will be Fun

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by PrecisionLawncareArkansas, Jan 20, 2006.

1. PrecisionLawncareArkansas

PrecisionLawncareArkansas LawnSite Member

I am new to this business and would love some advise on mower selection. I live in Northwest Arkansas where the grass is plentiful. Home of Wal-mart, Tyson, Georges just to name a few. So there are plenty of yards to mow.

My question is what epuipment would you buy if you were starting out. My dad owns a small engine repair shop sho I get to hear the good and bad about most all equipment. Below is my selection:

Wright Standar-36" ZTR
    Great Dane-60" ZTR
    Anything Stihl-Blower, Edger, Trimmer

Also, what are your ideas about buying a used box van with a 12 foot box or a trailer to pull. It seems to me both have there upsides, but I am leaning toward the box van. One stop shop, no need to hook up, but what if it breaks down now what do you do.

Just wanting to get some ideas for new equipment.

This site is great!!!!

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

First off welcome to the site! Next anything in the way of Sthil will be of good quality. As for the mowers you mentioned , I have no experience with either of those brands but they are well known and since you have family that can get parts most likely for any major brand then that isn't really an issue. Buy commerical equipment and take good care o fit and it will take good care of you. Out here its mostly Exmark, Walker and Deere stuff in mowers. I have seen more and more Hustlers lately though. The truck is personal preference really. I wouldn't go with the box van to hual all the equipment in because like you said , one break down and there are mucho problemas. A triler will follow a tow vehicle on a wheel lift receiver on a tow truck if it came to that. (seen it done before). Trailer will last a long time and through several trucks but that is just my opinion. :waving: :waving: :waving:

3. PrecisionLawncareArkansas

Thanks for the help. My dad is fond of Exmark, but again his favorite is Great Dane which leans toward the Wright. Both are really the same except one is a stander and great dane makes one too. I will lean toward the trailer not the truck. What about an enclosed trailer. I am thinking about theft.

Thanks again

4. out4now

from AZ

Enclosed cost more, and are heavier but have a lot of area for signage. There was just a htread about open vs. enclosed. Up toward the right there is a search feature in the bar and you can find anything on this site. Any topic you want. Just toss in the key words of what you want. It is a faster way to get all the answers and if you still need more you can always ask. There is so much to read here. Closed trailers (back to the subject) are more secure. Its really preference or what you like and how much you're willing to spend.

5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I think I've seen this somewhere.

6. PrecisionLawncareArkansas

Again, thanks for the help. And yes this is posted in two areas. I wanted to get the most information that I could.

7. PrecisionLawncareArkansas

Oh, and what do you think about the name...Precision Lawncare??

8. out4now

from AZ

Someone on here has it already I think. Its a great name but youmay wnat to check your area to make sure it is not taken already. not sure where our other member is in the country.

9. PrecisionLawncareArkansas

just did. was lucky. No one has it in the state. Or its not anywhere in the yellow pages.

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Actually someone DOES already have that named Registered with the State of Arkansas...took me about 4 minutes to find it. Sorry

Search Arkansas Incorporations, Cooperatives, Banks and Insurance Companies

Corporation Name PRECISION LAWN CARE LLC
    Fictitious Names N/A
    Filing # 800052956